looking into purchasing a turntable

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I am interested in picking up a turntable, as the topic states, for the listening of both modern and classic rock (if I can find those albums at a cheap price).

However, being that I am new to the format, and have never had access to listen to any LPs (the turntable my parents had was defunct by the time I could walk and sat idle in the entertainment center), is there a place I can sample how an LP sounds? Any places with a digital file of an imported track from a turntable?

the first two albums I would pick up on LP of modern music would be Coheed and Cambria's No World For Tomorrow, and The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium, or maybe Amputechture.

both of these bands I imagine could sound amazing on vinyl, and am interested if it is something I should pursue.
I'd be hooking up the turntable to my H/K AVR247, and would stick to 2.1 on the front towers and sub.
As far as the turntable itself, I'd want one with a good motor (direct drive would be nice but expensive, right?), but definitely needs a replaceable cartridge as I'd probably purchase one to replace the stock cartridge before I even had the turntable in my hands.

How much is it looking like I'd have to pay? Any places that offer considerable deals?
Certain brands I should stick to, and others to avoid?
Anyone selling their old turntable? ;)

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
I got an Audio Technica off Amazon for like $70. It is easy to use, works well, and sounds good.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
I got a numark ttusb for my wife this last xmas. it works pretty decent, but i replaced the cartridge immediately. it has a built in amp and is belt driven.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Do you have a budget? Do you care for a quality table or something that just works? New or used? New, the Technics SL-1200's are the DJ industry standard and are decent for a regular player. Otherwise, look at entry level decks from Pro-Ject, Music Hall, Rega, etc. Used, the popular vintage tables are by Dual, Thorens, Empire...

Good luck making your way through this ;)