Looking Into Buying First Car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Compare the loan offers from your credit union, the manufacter (dealer) and someone else before you make a move.

jspeicher

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2003
get a nice jetta or something, people will just laugh at you in srt and every mustang gt on the road will try and race you.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: jspeicher
get a nice jetta or something, people will just laugh at you in srt and every mustang gt on the road will try and race you.

laugh at an srt-4????? and it would keep up with the mustang gt. i really do like that car so much and i think it looks cool but i wish it was just RWD. i don't like any other car under 20k. nothing compares to the SRT-4 in it's price range. if i was just spending money i would get a g35 or a mutang gt but i don't want to. i wanted to keep it under 20k, hence the srt-4. i make more money than 90% of the people at my work and they drive 25-35k cars and i drive my little bug (which i love) but i want to have a car that is more reliable, has decent power, and it fairly inexpensive which i think the srt-4 fits the bill prefectly. i just don't know much about loans but i do know that i don't want to lease the car. my mom pointed me towards carmax. they seem pretty decent but they way they are you can't haggle any price but with my srt-4 i dont think they will bring it down that much more since it's a limited production car anyways. im going to call my insurance company tomorrow to see how much it would be with my clean record but i am barely 20 so i still think it would be high

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Since you can't drive 2 cars at the same time: don't plan on keeping the VW, if you do purchase another car. Unless you enjoy paying insurance on 2 cars? And get a reliable, high (30+) MPG, 4-cylinder engine car, that uses regular 87 octane gas.
Maybe a used 2003 Toyota Corolla with ~20,000 miles on it, for one example.
Gas prices are headed nowhere but ^.
Leave the Mustang GT and other "performance vehicles" for those with money to burn.

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool84
laugh at an srt-4????? and it would keep up with the mustang gt.
It can, and it's a good performer, but I think that he's trying to say that it's still a Neon. It's a very flamboyant "boy racer" car.

You can get a free insurance quote at Progressive.com. I suggest that you look into how much it'll run you. Paying $600 a month for insurance and car payments isn't fun, especially at your age.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Aren't Neon's noted for weak head gaskets crapping out? Buy a Japanese car - you'll thank me later. I agree with Valir but I would get a Lancer instead.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
what about prices???? i see that some prices include destination charge which is almost $600. im sure tax is extra. when i go to a couple of banks tomorrow should i actually go to the dealership FIRST to see EXACTLY how much it would be walking out the door so i know exactly how much i need or should i go a little higher? i was thinking of rolling over to carmax tomorrow because their "No Haggle Price" for a new one is about the cost of me getting a used.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't forget to include the increased cost of insurance for a newer vehicle.
You'll definitely pay more, than for a 35 year-old VW. Certain car models have lower insurance premiums, due to lower average repair costs, for collision damage.
So, check with your insurer before making a buying decision.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I know about 15 people with SRT's and they are mainly all happy w/them.

That car is stupid fast for the $... it just pulls, and pulls, and pulls... it doesn't stop...

If you can find one, get it... just remember don't be a nut in it.... take it to the track :)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good plan! You too will soon be up to your eyeballs in debt, owning no real estate.

I've been driving for over 30 years and NEVER wasted money on a new car. Thats exactly why I was able to purchase our first house, even though interest rates were over 15%. But, you go ahead and squander all your money on transportation. That's a damn good idea!

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaieye
Aren't Neon's noted for weak head gaskets crapping out? Buy a Japanese car - you'll thank me later. I agree with Valir but I would get a Lancer instead.

It was 95-97 Neons that had the headgasket issue. I have a 2003 with 60k miles, and I have had no issues with the car.

The Lancer was just rated as one of the most reliable cars on the road.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
For God's sake, PLEASE buy something that gets 30+ mpg.

Also, I don't think buying a new car is all that bad of an idea. The first two years of a new car are the most expensive, but they are also the best two years of a car. Shop around for insurance, it won't be too bad. I bought a Honda Civic EX SE not too long ago, and I love not having to fill up very often. Toyota Corolla also gets good MPG.

All manufacturers have website with info on all the cars, so check them out.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think buying a new car is all that bad of an idea.

Do you NOT understand the difference between $300 - $400 car payments VS no payment at all? Do you NOT understand thats the exact difference between renting and owning your home? Not a bad idea, eh? :roll:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Ornery
I don't think buying a new car is all that bad of an idea.

Do you NOT understand the difference between $300 - $400 car payments VS no payment at all? Do you NOT understand thats the exact difference between renting and owning your home? Not a bad idea, eh? :roll:

300-400 car payments doesn't say a lot. I bought new, and mine is 219/mo for 5 years.

You have to remember the first years of a a car may be the most expensive, but they are the best years on that car, and IMO, worth it. But that depends upon the car of course.

Some people can afford to pay for convenience and reliabilty, and in their minds, it's worth it.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
...in their minds, it's worth it.
  • Rent Home & New Car(s) VS Own Home & Used Car(s)
In some cases:
  • Own Home & New Car(s) VS Own BETTER Home & Used Car(s)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
well the difference between the used srt-4 and new is only like $1000 and sometimes the price is only a couple hundred. obviously i will get the FULL warranty with new one and being able to make sure it was broken in right

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since you've had such poor luck with your current 35yo used car, I can see why you'd be leery of another. :roll: (Hell bent on making payments, eh?)

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
You need a base model automatic Honda Civic. Add a fart can exhaust and lots of stickers that say "VTEC" and "nitrous" and you'll drive faster than anything on the road.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: minendo
Have fun paying the insurance on a brand new car at your age.

I had a new car at his age. State Farm insurance, full coverage was $1400/year.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: radioouman
They don't even make the SRT-4 any more. Neon production stopped two months ago.
If you see one of those, snatch it up unless you are going to buy a used one.

Didn't know that. Two kind of similar cars are the Saturn Ion Redline and the Chevy Cobalt SS. I have the Redline and its a lot of fun.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: EatSpam
They don't even make the SRT-4 any more. Neon production stopped two months ago.

Didn't know that. Two kind of similar cars are the Saturn Ion Redline and the Chevy Cobalt SS. I have the Redline and its a lot of fun.

yea but the srt-4 still spanks all of those cars in acceleration and handling

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: EatSpam

yea but the srt-4 still spanks all of those cars in acceleration and handling

how often are you goign to be "spanking" anybody in acceleration and handling? Seriously, a fast, high performance car is cool but just think about it. Gas is about to hit 3 / gal... do you really want to be paying that just so you can go a little faster around corners? There are PLENTY of fun cars out there to drive that get much better gas mileage. You can still have that fun-to-drive experience and not have to pay so much for it.