Looking for the best shower head - high flow - firehose-like

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nvidiaguy07, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

I loves my "showerhead on a hose" doohickey...and yes, I've removed the flow restrictors and drilled it out so that I get a decent water flow. We have shitty water pressure here, so I have to depend on volume, not pressure to get a good shower.

2. MrPickins

MrPickins Diamond Member

Actually, if you have decent water pressure, those aren't so bad.

We have one like it that is 2.5 gpm max, but sprays almost hard enough to sting. Been using it 5 or more years with no desire to change.

3. MrPickins

MrPickins Diamond Member

Reservoirs in my part of TX are at record lows, and the treated wastewater gets discharged downstream of us.

Conservation is very important here.

4. richardycc

richardycc Diamond Member

when I did my research for a high glow shower head, a lot of people reccomendated products from this site: takeashower.com, I eventually moved, so didn't need to order one anymore.

5. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Wish I could help you. Had one of those when I moved in and switched to a rain shower style. Like it so much better.

Oh, and just in case no one else mentioned it:

TEFLON TAPE!

6. paperfist

paperfist Diamond Member

If you want to get blasted by hot water, go big or go home.

You're going to need at least 6 shower heads or opt for some rain tiles with mood lighting.

7. Raizinman

Raizinman Platinum Member

This isn't what I'm looking for. takeashower.com are shower heads for low pressure by mixing more air. Air doesn't wash off soap suds. I want more water. I have good pressure and large pipes. Now, what I want is something to peal the skin from my face!

8. loki8481

loki8481 Lifer

I don't get the appeal of rain showers... my parents have one; I always feel like I'm drowning when I'm in their shower.

9. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

What about it?

10. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

it's tape! It's teflon. It is both tape and it is teflon at the same time!

11. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

I'm serious lol, my showerhead's instructions said it came with teflon tape and to wrap it around the pipe before installing, but those bastards didn't include any tape so I went on without it.

12. Dominato3r

Dominato3r Diamond Member

It looks like it would be terrible but it is surprisingly good. And he's right, it can spray hard enough to sting :D

13. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

Put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the tub spout and open fully. Record the time that it take to fill the bucket (should be at the very least 3 gallon per minute, or 100 seconds to fill the bucket) while running the kitchen sink/dishwasher, as well as running the cloth washer.

Go a head and remove the flow restrictor or buy a new high flow head if your have 3 gal/min or greater flow, other wise you are wasting your money.

14. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

Maybe it was made by Scotch and you just couldn't see it.

15. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

Polytetrafluoroethylene or PTFE tape (teflon tape), is use as a lubricant and sealant on pipe threads.

16. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Bah...it can't be tape. It's not sticky...and you can't record on it. :colbert:

17. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

haha

18. paperfist

paperfist Diamond Member

Lay down in the tub, put a wash cloth over your face and enjoy heaven.

19. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

I'm using one of those now, works great IMO, the shower head that was in place when I got my house would drain the 40gl HW heater in like 5 min. the el-cheapo gets good velocity and has an on/off valve, all I really need in a shower head.

20. LinuxIdiot

LinuxIdiot Golden Member

Yea that's the same model that I had. I think it mentioned something about being used in the navy. That thing was awesome for showers. it stung so you knew it was washing off the soap!

21. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

Maximum flow for 1/2" copper water service line at 85 PSI (maximum residential service) at the absolute best is just under 6 gallons a minute (but in reality it is unlikely that you get that kind of flow due to restrictions and bends, and perhaps it is service with PEX that have 5 gallon/min max at pressure with no other restriction and short length of tubing).

That said, hot water tank is normally at default 140F, and street water temperature at let say 39F (normally are 43-45F).

Mixed water at 89.5F for shower would be 1:1 hot:cold water, therefore 40 gal tank would take at the very least (40 * 2/6) = 13.33 minutes for you to empty the tank even if you turn of the fuel/electric so that HW tank have zero recovery rate.

In reality I would suspect it would be (40 * 2/4) = 20 +/-3 minutes to drain your HW tank.

22. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

Sounds like you work in the industry, I may be off about the time, it was 1994. The temp was kept at 120..

23. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

In the summer I take "Navy" showers, wet up, shut off valve, rinse off, saving a lot of water and hot water $$ that way..

24. Nvidiaguy07

Nvidiaguy07 Platinum Member

hot water or cold water? Maybe in the summer i could get away with that, but taking a shower is like the best part of my day right now. I hate the cold - even this winter sucks despite being ridiculously warm for a New England winter.

25. Elganja

Elganja Platinum Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.