Looking for summer rental in San Fran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
My son got an internship in SF for the summer, and has left finding a place to the last minute of course, lol. I'm starting to help him look around for options, but I don't have anything to go on except what I can google.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful. :) Thanks!

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
check sanfran craigslist, lots of listings, some not so good, but some decent ones are there too!

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
What are your requirements? Budget? But, check out craigslist to get a general idea first.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Thanks.

Craigslist terrifies me. Heard too many horror stories.

He's going to be a long way from home and has very little time before to get set up or after to pack things up, plus they are giving him a housing stipend so he can afford something in the $1000-1500 range. I'm hoping to find some sort of long-term hotel rental type thing.

Starting to search around now, but it's only weeks away and a lot of places are booked up.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Like others have said, check CL. What's the budget, where's the job? You may want to expand your field of search beyond SF, depending on budget and if you can get a good commute route to the job.

Edit: your post popped up when I posted so didn't see the CL issues. Still, where is the job? It makes a difference when figuring commute options. Is it near Caltrain? Bart? Where in the city?

Last edited:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
With that budget range, you may find a room share somewhere. Not a lot of options, but generally you'd want him to stay somewhere near public transportation. Look up MUNI, BART lines, and wherever you're deciding on, make sure there are a few public transport options within walking distance.

Sounds like your son is working near where I am, not a lot of residential within the immediate vicinity. Mostly are highrise condos/apartments, and they're way out of your price range unless you want your son to get stabbed everyday going to, and from wherever he's going. Look a bit further out west, definitely NO Bay View, Hunters Point, Tenderloins, or anywhere near those parts...

Public transportation is the method of choice of getting from one place to anther here, and you can get anywhere in the city with one transfer. Just to give you an idea, a one way commute on public transportation from the western edge of SF to that area is about 1 hour, so plan accordingly.

Try this http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/roo/

Beware of SROs, and hostels.

Last edited:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
id just walk around neighborhoods knocking on buildings. once its on craigslist youre competing with a million people and probably just wasting your time. right now the rental market is pretty good, if it s desirable place they dont need to list on craigs. realisitcally, sharing is the only budget choice. one of our employees told me yesterday that she shares an apartment in north beach with 2 other girls for $600 a month, i couldnt believe someone could live here that cheap.

if its only a temporary thing (like an internship for 3 months in the summer) i personally would just say wtheck and live it up. get a nice condo (as close to downtown as possible) for $2000 and totally enjoy yourself, if you can find places that wont make you sign a lease. be sure to take into account whether parking is included, renting a space in a garage is about $500. a lot of the nicer places have to be found through property management companies and realtors, not craigs

Last edited:

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Most companies will provide a mechanism for interns to contact each other so they can be roommates. It's probably easier to find a 2 bedroom apartment for $2000 than a 1 bedroom apartment for $1000.

I know nothing about San Fransisco, but if there is a college nearby, then there will be tons of people renting out rooms for the summer while they're gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.