Looking for suggestions on how to mount this ATX PSU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
For those (not) wondering, these are the games in question. You can guess what they are by the accronyms. They are/were not popular games at all but they are both light gun games.

JhkzM3Y.jpg

ZDbZACB.jpg

And I got this Thursday but haven't tested it out yet, nor ever played it. It's Lethal Enforcers 2. I have and love the first one. This board is much more of a beast and is 2 boards stacked.

V4K1V21.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Quick update. I just finished the project and mounted em. I think they came out pretty well. It's kind of cool how they are literally just computers that boot up into a game in linux and then use some kind of IO board to output to the cabinet and register the gun inputs.

BT3NzYI.jpg

DYP2wrK.jpg

nkyvFh4.jpg

I ended up mounting these to smaller boards because my plan is to keep one of the switcher "ports" extended out so that I can plug it into a board on top of my cabinet. So this size board fits perfectly on the top of my cabinet. That way I can plug/play other games without having to go inside the back of the cabinet. I still am waiting to get 2 relays for these 2 boards so that when the game is active, the relay will tell the ATX PSU to turn on, and turn off when the game is deselected or cabinet is turned off.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Should use a washer under the screw and line it up so that the edge of the washer is as close to the psu edge as possible.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Should use a washer under the screw and line it up so that the edge of the washer is as close to the psu edge as possible.
Not possible with the screws I have, they won't go through the small holes.

The PSU's aren't going anywhere, they are in their snug. And it's not like they will be moving a lot.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Yeah my only comment would have been to screw the straps into the PSU mounting holes first, before locking down the strap. The only concern I have is that the strap will loosen up where it's bent, possibly allowing it to move. You may have done this but it's hard to tell with the angle of the pictures.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah my only comment would have been to screw the straps into the PSU mounting holes first, before locking down the strap. The only concern I have is that the strap will loosen up where it's bent, possibly allowing it to move. You may have done this but it's hard to tell with the angle of the pictures.
That metal won't "loosen" at all. That stuff was tough to bend by hand with force.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not possible with the screws I have, they won't go through the small holes.

The PSU's aren't going anywhere, they are in their snug. And it's not like they will be moving a lot.

It will sag given time since they are going to be perpendicular. But move one screw hole closer to shorten the potential play length. Add a bigger washer under the current one if possible.

And no I am not suggesting you put screws on the psu at all.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It will sag given time since they are going to be perpendicular. But move one screw hole closer to shorten the potential play length. Add a bigger washer under the current one if possible.

And no I am not suggesting you put screws on the psu at all.
They probably won't be perpendicular. I'm going to keep one of my switcher outputs outside of the cabinet so I can "plug and play" any game I want without having to move the cabinet and go inside it. It's either going to be on top of my Max Force cabinet or on top of the Rush 2049 cabinet right next to it.

I plan on keeping these outside of the cabinet, and one reason is for the airflow of the PSU as I'm playing them. I really don't know how they would do inside the cabinet as far as airflow goes and don't really want to risk it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They probably won't be perpendicular. I'm going to keep one of my switcher outputs outside of the cabinet so I can "plug and play" any game I want without having to move the cabinet and go inside it. It's either going to be on top of my Max Force cabinet or on top of the Rush 2049 cabinet right next to it.

I plan on keeping these outside of the cabinet, and one reason is for the airflow of the PSU as I'm playing them. I really don't know how they would do inside the cabinet as far as airflow goes and don't really want to risk it.

If it is staying horizontal then it's fine. You could always power vent the whole cabinet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@purbeast0

What are/where did you get those white plastic mounts for the motherboard and i/o boards?
I purchased them from ebay from this listing here. I may get some more as I'm almost out, but don't have any new boards on the way or anything right now.

Reactions: PingSpike