Looking for some kitchen knives, buy a whole set or one or two good ones?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So I tell my girlfriend I'm buying the Wusthoff for $64, and she disgrees and thinks I'm spending too much money. She wants to get a set of knives for that price. Of course, when she's cooking, she'll complain how crappy my knives are. Then when I try to get a good one, she complains I'm spending too much for one knife. Jeez, women, never happy.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: trmiv
So I tell my girlfriend I'm buying the Wusthoff for $64, and she disgrees and thinks I'm spending too much money. She wants to get a set of knives for that price. Of course, when she's cooking, she'll complain how crappy my knives are. Then when I try to get a good one, she complains I'm spending too much for one knife. Jeez, women, never happy.

Tell her you're getting the Heckels... she'll change her mind.
BEFORE you buy anything online go to a good store and pick the knives up and feel them. If you do a lot of chopping etc, your goign to want knives that feel good in your hand. Hit Williams Sonoma or something similar. They carry a ton fo highend knife brands.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

I don't know if I agree with the general sentiment that one knife is worth that much money. I mean, you use them for a few minutes a day in most cases. The cheap knives are sharp, but not balanced. Spending $400+ on a set of knives seems pretty rediculous if you ask me. But a set of cheap knifes and if they wear out 3 years from now, buy another set for $60. They'll cut through most foods equally well - so what if you have to exert a little effort twice a month or something.

Maybe if you have cash to kill, a nice set makes sense - but I put it in the same category as most power tools (except drills) - if it's something you only use once a month, it doesn't make sense to buy the latest and greatest.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Homerboy

Tell her you're getting the Heckels... she'll change her mind.
BEFORE you buy anything online go to a good store and pick the knives up and feel them. If you do a lot of chopping etc, your goign to want knives that feel good in your hand. Hit Williams Sonoma or something similar. They carry a ton fo highend knife brands.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Are you talking about the start set you got? Does it have a name specifically? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
HERE is the link to the line of knives (the 5 stars were just way too much IMHO). I cant seem to find the exact "set" we got. They have some sets there with blocks, but not the block we got. Ours had slots for 8 steak knives too. If I recall off the top of my head ours came with 1 paring knife, 1 sheers, 1 slicing knife, 1 chef knife and 1 small bread(serrated) knife. I dont even see our set in that list of blocks. Im still digging.

They do seem to have some nice 2, 3, and 4 knife sets (without blocks) If you ge ta block just get one where the knifes slide in sideways. They shouldnt rest vertically ON the edge.

My mother got it for us at Boston Store and it had a price tag of $300.00 (rest assured she did NOT pay that much.. she works there once a week to get a 25% discount plus shes a freak fo sales so she prob bought these back in April or something and got em for $2 :))

Im not really recommending one knife over the other. My vote is for the Henckles because those are the ones we felt were the best bang for the buck and FELT the best to us in our hands... and of course my wife I think already had her mind set somewhat that she wanted Henckles.

Besides any company that uses sexy women in silk dresses to sell knives is going to get my $

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Elemental007
Spending $400+ on a set of knives seems pretty rediculous if you ask me. But a set of cheap knifes and if they wear out 3 years from now, buy another set for $60. They'll cut through most foods equally well - so what if you have to exert a little effort twice a month or something.

No, they won't cut equally well. And you're right, spending $400 is ridiculous for the average home chef. However, spending $150-$200 is not for a few fantastic knives that you will use a lot and will last you a lifetime is a good investment.

10+ piece sets are not required, even the good brands. A good chefs knife (say, 8-9"), a steel, a bread knife and a paring and/or utility knife around 4" will do 95% of your jobs. Maybe a carving knife on top of it, and that'll take care of all of your knife needs.

You do not need to spend $400 for those, even for top quality ones. You will see the diference in quality immediately if you are a used to using a quality blade for food prep and go to your freinds/families house that has a $70 15 piece set and you start using them.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Sweetness.. didn't know good knives are so expensive :Q What kind of discernible advantages do they really offer?

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Like everybody else said just get yourself a couple of good knives, and I would recommend either Global, Wusthof or Kershaw's Shun line.

Henckles has been putting a lot of crap out there and I think there quality goes down a tad every year therefore I would personally not buy another Henckles.

It is totally worth it to get some good knives, even if you do not do a lot of cooking one good chef's knife is well worth the cost.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Babbles
Like everybody else said just get yourself a couple of good knives, and I would recommend either Global, Wusthof or Kershaw's Shun line.

Henckles has been putting a lot of crap out there and I think there quality goes down a tad every year therefore I would personally not buy another Henckles.

It is totally worth it to get some good knives, even if you do not do a lot of cooking one good chef's knife is well worth the cost.

The JA Henckles International line is cr@p you're right. The Zwilling JA Henckles are still more than rock solid IMHO.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
If you want a realitively inexpensive knife or 3, go to Target. They have sell a line of Henckels called "forged pro" for a decent price. You can get a set with a block for ~$150, or you can buy the knives piece by piece. I bought the chef's knife, the paring knife and the 6in "utility", which I use quite a bit. In any case, you want to look for a forged knife with a full tang. The Santoku set you found at amazon looks really nice. I'm thinking about ordering one as my chef's knife isn't that comfortable. Eventually I want to get a set of really good quality knives after I graduate.

I would also recommend that you pick up a Lansky sharpening system. Normally you should have all your kitchen knives sharpened professionally, but the Lansky allows you to set the angle at which you grind the edge. A good knife is worthless without a good edge.

R

EDIT: The forged pro's I recommended aren't great knives, but they get the job done, hold an edge, and are well-built.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think I'll pick up the Wusthof. Yea, my girlfriend will complain about what I spent at first, but I'm sure her complaints will go out the window when she uses it. She always complains how bad my current knives are, so this is sure to cure that.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: rgwalt
I would also recommend that you pick up a Lansky sharpening system. Normally you should have all your kitchen knives sharpened professionally

Bah. A steel is all you need. Just make sure you know how to use it (not neuro surgery) and use it periodically. Your blades will be fine.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: m2kewl
this set is da bomb!

that is all

That is a nice set. Global makes fine knives, but I'd still take a set of Wusthoff Grand Prix over those.

Nice knives, though.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
For X-Mas I got the Wusthof Classic 10-Piece Set. It was purchased at the local Williams-Sonoma for $319.

In it's price range, it's by far the best knife. The Henckels Pro S were the competition but everyone at the store said they personally own the Wusthof and they felt they were the better knifes. Wusthof go through 1 more process stage in the making of the knives than Henckel does.

I've been very happy with the knives. The best thing is they have a lifetime warranty. W&S told me just bring whatever knife back that is broke/defective/anything, they will give me a brand new one, and send the other back.

It sounds expensive at $319, but realize they will last a lifetime (or be replaced) and are a much higher quality set.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Synthetic Hostaform-C, whatever the hell that is :D I've never heard of or seen Classic's with wooden handles??

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: bernse
this set is da bomb!

that is all

That is a nice set. Global makes fine knives, but I'd still take a set of Wusthoff Grand Prix over those.

Nice knives, though.

I could never bring myself to buy Global. They look like something that came out of a sick and twisted horror movie to be used as instruments of death :)

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
this set is da bomb!

that is all

Nice knives, though.

I could never bring myself to buy Global. They look like something that came out of a sick and twisted horror movie to be used as instruments of death :)

haha yeah they do. They are sharp (pun intended?) looking knives though. They were on display with all the other knives at WS. Pretty neat.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Synthetic Hostaform-C, whatever the hell that is :D I've never heard of or seen Classic's with wooden handles??
Actually, I've never seen classics with synthetic handles! ;) They've always been wood.

Must be a fairly recent change over.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Actually, I've never seen classics with synthetic handles! ;) They've always been wood.

Must be a fairly recent change over.

Classic's Homepage

I dunno, i've been looking at them for the past two years and they've always been synthetic. Maybe you just mistook it for wood or my definition of recent isn't the same :)