Looking for some confirmation on if USB 3.2 gen 1 is what used to be called USB 3.0 and that it's still physically compatible for mobo headers.

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
I'll make it simple, I'm planing to build a Ryzen system using an old Antec P280(love the look, really silent, replaced the original fans for noctua ones, basically, no need to change it) and it comes with a USB3.0 front connector and I haven't been keeping up on the nomenclature "evolution" of the USB 3 types...

If my motherboard only comes with USB 3.2 connectors(gen 1 and 2), I am right to assume I should have what used to be called 3.0 on the motherboard(currently looking at the ROG Crosshair VIII HERO). I'm asking because I can't seem to find the connector on the pictures I've been able to find for the mobo so far. It's in the specs, I just can't see it(therefor, unable to make sure it really is the same).

I'm pretty sure those(3.2gen1 and 3.0) are the same things but some confirmation would be nice. It's been a long while since I've installed a new mobo/cpu(last one was an i5 3570k when it first came out) and I wouldn't want to make a stupid mistake, any help in the form of a simple reply would be appreciated!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, good old "USB 3.0" got re-named to "USB 3.1 Gen1", and then more recently, "USB 3.2 Gen1". Go figure, it was supposed to "simplify" things. But if you have the 19/20-pin higher-density header on the mobo, you should be good to go. USB3.1/3.2 Gen2 headers, are a metal-shrouded smaller connector, those are fairly rare except on very high-end cases.

Reactions: Le Québécois