Looking for pure sine UPS

Executor_

Mar 4, 2010
Requirements:
  • Pure sine output while on battery backup
  • Easy to replace battery, ie. not have to dismantle half the unit
  • Price ideally less than $500
Any suggestions?

I currently have a 3-year-old Cyberpower PP1100 whose batteries are dying, but I don't want to have to hire an electrician just to replace them!

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Requirements:
  • Pure sine output while on battery backup
  • Easy to replace battery, ie. not have to dismantle half the unit
  • Price ideally less than $500
Any suggestions?

I currently have a 3-year-old Cyberpower PP1100 whose batteries are dying, but I don't want to have to hire an electrician just to replace them!

Replacing batteries is quite easy and much less expensive. These look pretty standard sized and should be straightforward to swap out. Recycle the old ones, as they are sealed lead acid batteries. Batteries Plus, Best Buy, auto parts stores, etc. should take them from you.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-PP1100-UPS-Replacement-Batteries/dp/B00CHJ6PTC

Executor_

Mar 4, 2010
I've tried opening up my PP1100 UPS. There are a ton of stickers everywhere warning about the risk of electrocution and that the battery should only be serviced by an experienced technician.

The battery itself cannot be accessed unless you take apart a good chunk of the UPS. It is nothing like the easy to replace batteries shown on youtube, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1aAz3jbKo

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
What about the CP1500PFCLCD?

https://youtu.be/ESNfrz_2T04

It looks as simple as it gets when it comes to swapping out batteries. I think the battery replacement warning stickers will be in every system for legal purposes. You have to remember that there are some really, really dumb people out there.

Executor_

Mar 4, 2010
The CP1500PFCLCD looks like it fits the bill.

I had an APC square-wave UPS that lasted me a decade before my PP1100. I replaced the batteries on it a couple times without any issues.

The PP1100 I don't even know how much work it would take. The battery appears firmly ensconced inside the unit, and you'd first have to unscrew and take out a bunch of stuff around it. I spent a while examining it thinking there must be an easier way to get the battery out, but I just don't see anything. Combined with the multiple electrocution warnings (including mandatory use of rubber gloves and boots, which I definitely don't recall seeing on my APC UPS) I just don't think the PP1100 is in the easy to replace battery category.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You probably won't find pure sine for that price unless it's very small like <200w but as far as those warnings about batteries you can more or less ignore them, they have to protect themselves from idiots that might try to service it while the batteries are connected and inverter is running. Ex: if it's not plugged it's still generating power. If you turn the UPS off, it's perfectly safe to open, but first thing you want to do is disconnect the batteries. There could be capacitors that need to be discharged but typically it's not something you'll be getting into unless you're troubleshooting the electronics.

Most UPSes I've seen are fairly easy to get to the battery compartment, especially the APCs. Typically though you don't really have to change the batteries that often. I have some going on like 5+ years. They probably don't hold the same charge as before though but they serve their purpose. You can also get away with replacing with "generic" batteries... they're mostly all the same, the UPS manufacturer just puts their sticker on it and charges 5x the price.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Agreed with RedSquirrl - pure sin is going to be more expensive (nor have I seen one at the prices I play; you can see the blockness in the wave itself without needing too much resolution); only AC Mains really gets you a nice wave.
Are you sure you need a 'pure sin wave'? If so, and your current one is good, stick with what you got and get the battery fixed even if you have to hire an electrician.

Executor_

Mar 4, 2010
Doing more research, the CP1500PFCLCD isn't true pure sine but an adaptive sine wave, however, I haven't read about any issues while powering home computers, and it was specifically designed as a lower-cost solution for active PFC PSUs. Considering the price (~$250), I think I'll go with the CP1500.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
As I wrote above APC SMT series is pure sine wave and they have at least 3 different models under OP's 500$ budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16842101387

I like and run a few SMT1500 at my place.

But I agree with everybody. Get your batteries replaced. It isn't hard, or at least it shouldn't be. I've replaced many batteries in the past in my APC units. Takes less than 5 minutes...

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
What about the CP1500PFCLCD?

https://youtu.be/ESNfrz_2T04

It looks as simple as it gets when it comes to swapping out batteries. I think the battery replacement warning stickers will be in every system for legal purposes. You have to remember that there are some really, really dumb people out there.

I have two of those units and love them. Just replace the batteries every three years to avoid issues.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Doing more research, the CP1500PFCLCD isn't true pure sine but an adaptive sine wave, however, I haven't read about any issues while powering home computers, and it was specifically designed as a lower-cost solution for active PFC PSUs. Considering the price (~$250), I think I'll go with the CP1500.
The battery swap is very, very easy though. One screw that holds the door, slide it open, disconnect the main wire of the front panel, then batteries come out (if they are swelled, it will be harder to get them out, but, still possible), then look at the wiring harness, disconnect that, and remove them, get new batteries, and hook up the wires the same way, and put it back together.
That video
shows how easy it is.