Looking for PC game recommendations (good for two people on one computer)

Gargen

Golden Member
May 13, 2008
I recently convinced my non-gamer GF to play XCOM with me. I figured it was perfect for us to play together because it was turned based, so we could collaborate on strategy at our leisure and then enact our plan. It worked out great! We had a great time together and eventually she was pestering me about playing more.

Anyway, we just finished the game and I don't think either of us are looking to play through it again. I'm thinking of firing up Civ 5 next, but I'm worried she'll find it tedious, and even if she loves it, we'll get tired of it eventually and I'm out of ideas after that. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be turn based as long as it can be played collaboratively with one person at the controls. If SimCity 4 didn't crash on me every couple hours and SimCity 5 didn't have horrible reviews/require Origin, I'd give that a go even though it's not technically turn based. Even a good hot seat game would work as long as the turns don't take more than about 5 minutes (any more than that and the likelihood of lost attention probably grows too high).

Thanks in advance for suggestions. :thumbsup:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Actually, disregard - I misread quickly as looking more for co-op. It's very hard to recommend one game for two people, because tastes vary so much.

I have one I think it a pretty solid recommendation though - "You Don'T Know Jack", which you can play as one-player with two playing, or two-player hotseat.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Did she express any interest in taking controls at any point?

If just for the strategy, there is Gratuitous Space Battles, and Frozen Synapse. Not sure if you picked up Dungeon Defenders in one of the countless Humble Bundles it has been in, but you can play that split screen with a controller/second keyboard. It also has a "strategy only" mode in which it removes the shooter element from the game.

Another turn based that I enjoyed and is definitely more simple than GSB or Frozen Synapse is Great Big War game, it is a hex grid cartoonish game with simple units/elements.

There is also Sins of Solar Empire, which is RTS but not heavy on micromanaging and more about strategy, and large scale resource management. That one just went on sale though, so it might be a while before it is on sale again.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Did she express any interest in taking controls at any point?

If just for the strategy, there is Gratuitous Space Battles, and Frozen Synapse. Not sure if you picked up Dungeon Defenders in one of the countless Humble Bundles it has been in, but you can play that split screen with a controller/second keyboard. It also has a "strategy only" mode in which it removes the shooter element from the game.

Another turn based that I enjoyed and is definitely more simple than GSB or Frozen Synapse is Great Big War game, it is a hex grid cartoonish game with simple units/elements.

There is also Sins of Solar Empire, which is RTS but not heavy on micromanaging and more about strategy, and large scale resource management. That one just went on sale though, so it might be a while before it is on sale again.

I didnt have the patience for frozen synapse but dungeon defenders is really good for coop

Gargen

Golden Member
May 13, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions!

Gonna show her frozen synapse, dungeon defenders, great big war game, and trine 2 to see if anything sparks interest. I have a USB Xbox360 controller I've never actually plugged in to the computer, so it might be time to finally do that... and if I'm gonna plug in a controller, I might as well see about getting Portal 2 going too (as suggested in the other thread).

If I can make it through those, she's probably officially hooked and I can start pushing for her to have her own gaming PC for some "proper" co-op. *evil grin*

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I saw "two people/one computer" in the title and didn't know if I wanted to click this topic...

Looks like you got the games covered though so that's good. DD & Trine are definitely top picks. If you're into ancient trivia games there is also You Don't Know Jack... although who knows if that works on modern PCs anymore.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Tell tale's walking dead if you're a fan of the show and/or comics.

My wife is a non-gamer, but we'll play that together. I'm usually on the controls, but we collaborate on the decision making.