Looking for/need help with very small, fanless, internal power supplies

Mothergoose729

Mar 21, 2009
Hello annadtech, I was wondering if someone could help me with a product search. i am looking to build a mini itx computer around llano with this case:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1201-page2.html

and if at all possible I would like everything to be not only fanless, but interternal. The llano processer I plan to use has as 100 watt TDP, which I plan to undervolt to about 85 watts or so. I will be using two SSDs for storage, and then the only other things drawing power will be maybe a few USB devices and a built in wifi card. To be on the safe side, I figure I need about 150 watts of power to supply the whole system. Fortunately little PSUs tend to be more power efficient from what I have read. I have already found a pico PSU that should fit the job:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pico-PSU-160-XT...-ITX-Power-Supply-/190453035506#ht_2251wt_606

The thing is, i would have to buy an external power brick, would I not? I am having a hard time finding a 160 watt AC power brick to go with this. Also, I would very much like to find a fanless, mini ITX power supply that I could fit internally into the case rather then using a pico PSU with an external brick. I tried to look up the exact power supply used in the case review to no luck. Searching for similair items on the internet hasn't come up with anything either. Can anyone help me with my search?

Also, I figure I may very likely end up settling with this pico psu. The exact model I linked will work if I get a molex -> two sata port adapter just fine. Is there other parts I am not aware of that I will need to get? Will it work ok? I have never worked with something like this before. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Found the following power kit: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-192-XT-192W-Adapter-Power-Kit. Still nothing internal.

Last edited:

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
psu efficiency is highest when about 50% utilized
account for that in your search
I recommend no lower than 250watt

I havn't seen any ultra-fancy, high efficiency(80 plus gold etc.) itx psu's to date
possibly one that has good reviews or is from a quality company will be your best bet ...

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Here is a nice pico psu roundup

jonnyguru is a nice site for psu reviews

btw what is your price range ?

personally if I was building an itx system right now I think i'd opt for a case that just takes a standard atx psu
then i'd put a seasonic 400w fanless in it (high cost, but the best)

Other forum members are likely to be more helpful on itx subjects

Good Luck!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OP, how do you figure you're going to build a mini-ITX LLano rig, when there aren't any mobos out.

Mothergoose729

Mar 21, 2009
OP, how do you figure you're going to build a mini-ITX LLano rig, when there aren't any mobos out.

Asus announced a full featured ITX board. Its not out yet, but when it comes out I will snag it up.

the key feature here is that whatever I get, it must be competely silent. At this point the case I will use will have literally zero fans, so it would make no sense to add a PSU that has one either. I am thinking I have to go the ac/dc with adapter route at this point.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Pico PSU is your best bet. Either 150W or 160W version will suffice. Just remember that there are TWO parts to the Pico PSU. The Pico PSU itself, plus the power brick that feeds it. You are limited by the power of the power brick, so stick a 90W power brick with a Pico PSU 160XT and you will end up with... a 90W Pico PSU.

I recommend no lower than 250watt

That's way more than necessary.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Pico PSU is your best bet. Either 150W or 160W version will suffice. Just remember that there are TWO parts to the Pico PSU. The Pico PSU itself, plus the power brick that feeds it. You are limited by the power of the power brick, so stick a 90W power brick with a Pico PSU 160XT and you will end up with... a 90W Pico PSU.

That's way more than necessary.

your right if he gets a pico psu
if he gets a standard atx or flex atx tho, I think going so low would be iffy

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
your right if he gets a pico psu
if he gets a standard atx or flex atx tho, I think going so low would be iffy

a) sounds like he's set on the case anyway

b) if there's just a llano and a couple SSDs in a system a 200 watt supply would be plenty sufficient.

Mothergoose729

Mar 21, 2009
OP let us know if that works for you :)

Will do. I ended up opting to go for a micro atx board with an SFX power supply for a variety of reasons. First and foremost; the H3 SODD case will not be compatible with FM1 mini ITX motherboards because of the socket arrangement on the PCB, according to one of the administrators on their forums.

I ended up getting a slim micro atx case instead, and APEX DM-387. For now I am going to use the stock 270 watt PSU. I have a lot of plans for this system, including running it passively and stripping the PSU of its fan sometime down the road. If I can make anything interesting happen, I will post a full build log with benchmarks on these forums. I am hopeful that with a combination of lapping, light modding, undervolting and underclocking I can make miracles happen with this system.

Thanks for all your help guys.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Will do. I ended up opting to go for a micro atx board with an SFX power supply for a variety of reasons. First and foremost; the H3 SODD case will not be compatible with FM1 mini ITX motherboards because of the socket arrangement on the PCB, according to one of the administrators on their forums.

I ended up getting a slim micro atx case instead, and APEX DM-387. For now I am going to use the stock 270 watt PSU. I have a lot of plans for this system, including running it passively and stripping the PSU of its fan sometime down the road. If I can make anything interesting happen, I will post a full build log with benchmarks on these forums. I am hopeful that with a combination of lapping, light modding, undervolting and underclocking I can make miracles happen with this system.

Thanks for all your help guys.

That APEX PSU will blow up sooner or later. Speaking from experience here. Replace it before it takes your parts out.

EDIT: I'd be more comfortable running one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151090

Using Allied/Apex PSUs, I've had 4 die in <1 year, one took out the motherboard as well, and randomly enough one has been running for >5 years.

Last edited: