Looking for Nano or Fury (Vanilla) owner for bench off vs 980

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Latest TPU benchmarks include Anno 2205.

At 1080p, GTX980 is 51% faster than R9 390X and ~19% faster than Fury X. :D

That game alone skew the performance summary graphs. :sneaky:

Yeah there was a massive change in the games:

• Anno 2205
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity
  • Battlefield 3
  • Battlefield 4
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • COD : Advanced Warfare
  • COD : Black Ops 3
  • Civilization: Beyond Earth
  • Crysis 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Far Cry 4
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Just Cause 3
  • Mad Max
  • Metal Gear Solid V
  • Rainbow Six: Siege
  • Ryse
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Watch Dogs
  • The Witcher 3
  • World of Warcraft: WoD

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You are right, I am using in-game figures for the OC % gain. However, his continuous rant is because he thinks I am using out-of-the-box MSI Gaming 390x scores as a baseline 390x to show how much gain there is to be made overclocking 390x, which I am not.

Lol what a load of crap. You change your story halfway through to talk about measured FPS instead of OC headroom. OC headroom is NOT the difference in measured framerates, no matter how you try and spin it. OC headroom means, and has always meant, the difference between stock clocks and maximum overclock clocks. It has never meant anything else. Clever attempt to reframe it though, probably would work on most forumites.

Face it dude. You were wrong and tried to cover.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Lol what a load of crap. You change your story halfway through to talk about measured FPS instead of OC headroom. OC headroom is NOT the difference in measured framerates, no matter how you try and spin it. OC headroom means, and has always meant, the difference between stock clocks and maximum overclock clocks. It has never meant anything else. Clever attempt to reframe it though, probably would work on most forumites.

Face it dude. You were wrong and tried to cover.

Headroom to me has always meant untapped performance. If headroom to you means paper stats then whip out that pencil and have loads of fun! I don't care what megahertz speed this card or that card is running at. If a card (like Hawaii) overclocks 20% in core frequencies but only scales 7% in performance, then it has very little headroom in it. When people talk about Maxwell having tons of headroom, it is in fact related entirely to it's ability to realize massive real world performance gains from overclocking. If Maxwell's real world performance gains were paltry despite it's huge clock speed increases, no one would care or talk about how much headroom Maxwell has. HENCE the very reason people consistently say Hawaii, Tonga, and Fiji have very little headroom. I was never wrong and tried to cover nothing when I was using the same math in each and every post and was very forth coming about my reasoning and intentions.

I find it amusing how you skipped mentioning that you failed at comprehension and weren't paying attention to the numbers and figures I was using and kept thinking I was comparing an out-of-box OC 390x with a max'd OC 390x when, as I proved to you (multiple times), I wasn't. I take it you ignoring this is total admission that your rants were due to reading failure and is a sign of your unspoken apology. I accept.

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
You did get an offer, but never messaged me.

If OP hasn't messaged this user yet there isn't a point for this thread...

It's for a bench off, so lets get that bench off going with the 1 person it's possible to do so with.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Headroom to me has always meant untapped performance. If headroom to you means paper stats then whip out that pencil and have loads of fun! I don't care what megahertz speed this card or that card is running at. If a card (like Hawaii) overclocks 20% in core frequencies but only scales 7% in performance, then it has very little headroom in it. When people talk about Maxwell having tons of headroom, it is in fact related entirely to it's ability to realize massive real world performance gains from overclocking. If Maxwell's real world performance gains were paltry despite it's huge clock speed increases, no one would care or talk about how much headroom Maxwell has. HENCE the very reason people consistently say Hawaii, Tonga, and Fiji have very little headroom. I was never wrong and tried to cover nothing when I was using the same math in each and every post and was very forth coming about my reasoning and intentions.

I find it amusing how you skipped mentioning that you failed at comprehension and weren't paying attention to the numbers and figures I was using and kept thinking I was comparing an out-of-box OC 390x with a max'd OC 390x when, as I proved to you (multiple times), I wasn't. I take it you ignoring this is total admission that your rants were due to reading failure and is a sign of your unspoken apology. I accept.

No. The percent change from 1050 to 1170 is 11.5%, not 6 or 7%. You got caught and you don't like it. Tough luck. I apologize for nothing.

Last edited: