Looking for my first cellphone

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
I've never owned a cellphone before, and I think it's time I get one. I'm hoping for one that's reasonably priced (prepaid/pay as you go), or the contract is affordable.

My requirements:
Black
Flip phone
Semi-cheap

Things that aren't important:
Camera
Music
Internet
Games
Etc.

It just needs to be a phone. The thinner the better. And please, not the razr (too expensive).

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
I can't think of any phones that are as thin as the razr/krzr. I think Samsung has some thin phones.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Just looked at the LG Chocolate VX8600. Damn, that's a nice phone.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
So are you looking for a phone that comes with a contract/prepaid package or do you want to buy a phone independently? You can get a much nicer phone on your own, but it'll cost a lot more.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Azndude51
So are you looking for a phone that comes with a contract/prepaid package or do you want to buy a phone independently? You can get a much nicer phone on your own, but it'll cost a lot more.

Yep, that's the problem. I'd rather not go into a contract, so I'd just be looking for a phone on its own.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Alone
Originally posted by: Azndude51

Yep, that's the problem. I'd rather not go into a contract, so I'd just be looking for a phone on its own.

If thats the case you would have to go with a GSM provider. I don't know if VZW/Sprint allow non-branded phones onto their network.

You could get the Razr for cheap now that fits your requirements but the UI is painfully slow. Several people that "didnt care about that" now hate their phone. Just a heads up.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Looks like I'm going with a contract from Telus. Oh well, things could be worse...I could be spending $300++ for the phone alone.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
right now my favorite phone by far is the blackberry pearl. it doesnt do as much as a wm5 phone, but it also lasts more then a day on a charge:) i LOVE its functionality, it is the most user-intuitive device ive ever owned. its clear that RIM puts a lot of heart into their work. i guess the only catch is you pretty much need the internet service with them or its functions are crippled...