Question Looking for mid-tower cases that can sit horizontally

stresslvlzer0

Mar 11, 2020
Hey all - long time reader but just created an account as I'm working on my first PC build (I can't believe it has taken me this long...). This is going in the living room so I want something that can lay horizontally, but it doesn't need to be a "HTPC" style case since the ones I've found are all pretty small since they're meant to fit inside a cabinet or something, and I don't mind the look either way.

So instead of only looking at HTPC cases I'm also looking for towers that can lay on their side. From what I can tell that means at least 1 side needs to be completely flat and not glass or anything fancy, and the fans in the front need to be vented through the front wall rather than using gaps on the sides.

I'm looking to stick to a budget of around $100, and the dimensions I'm looking for are an approx max (WxHxD) 18"x8"x17". That will leave some room in the back for air and wiring and about 4" above it. The right side will allow good airflow for cooling (I'm thinking intake from front/left and exhaust out back/right but I've never done this before). I'm also only looking at cases that fit a regular ATX board.

For reference the only HTPC case I found that really fits my needs/budget is the SilverStone GD09, which functionally is OK, but is very cramped and doesn't have any vents or fans in the front. I love the idea of having a 5.25" bay but it seems like most modern cases these days won't have that available.

The case I'm most interested in right now is the Fractal Design Meshify C which comes in a version without glass panels and has a fully vented front. No 5.25" bay sadly, but I will do without it. It's comparable in price to the GD09 and looks a lot roomier, has better airflow, and better cable management.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to discuss them in this thread. Thanks in advance!

Update to keep track of options:

Currently considering:

- Fractal Design Meshify C (top choice, wish it had a 5.25" bay)
- Cooler Master HAF XB EVO (very large)
- SilverStone GD09 (not ideal)

Last edited:

stresslvlzer0

Mar 11, 2020
So, an atx desktop case?

Ha, more or less. You wouldn't think this would be so hard, but finding something that fits within my dimensions (depth is proving to be a tricky one), that doesn't have glass sides, and that has good airflow through the front is limiting my search quite a bit. A lot of these parameters aren't things I can just punch into PCPartPicker, so I'm hoping the community may have some recommendations.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This might be close?

Or look on craiglist for an old atx desktop no one wants lol

Probably too big

Last edited:

stresslvlzer0

Mar 11, 2020
The 200R, H22, and BG021 are all too deep :(

The HAF XB EVO is definitely an option, but it does look huge lol. I think the height would just barely fit for me, so I’ll add it to the running.

stresslvlzer0

Mar 11, 2020
I also just found the Eclipse P300A Mesh Edition (just 15.9" depth) which looks comparable to the Meshify C but at a lower price point. No option without the glass left side, but at that price I can't be too picky.