looking for laptop recommendation

drednox

Mar 24, 2003
hi

i'm looking for a good laptop deal, basically what i need something along the following:

under $400, 2 gigs of RAM, windows vista O/S, needs to have a built in webcam, needs to be able to work in europe, asia and americas as i intend to travel a lot with it.

its main function will be internet use and me communicating with my friends and family via live video chat.

and yes, i know i will need power adapters, got those already, just not sure if all the networking and other stuff is or is not fully compatible with laptops sold in the US.

if anyone knows of any particular products they like to reccomend, please do so :)

BTW i already checked newegg, zipzoomfly, fry's and best buy.

Thanks !

jdkick

Feb 8, 2006
Do you need/want a full laptop/notebook or would a mini suffice? I ask because you will be traveling with it - weight/size should probably be a consideration. Personally, i'd stick with something 14.1" or smaller just to keep the weight/size in check. The 15.4" and newer 15.6"/16.0" sizes can be rather bulky. I've heard good deals can be had via Dell's outlet site.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
for $400 you're probably going to get a pentium dual core or athlon. which is fine, but if you spend about a 100 bucks more you can likely get a c2d or turion with 4gb and a big hard drive. a good sale at best buy or another electronics or office store is probably your best bet, online retailer's don't always have the greatest deals on cheap laptops.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
The big box stores actually are the best bets on this end of the price spectrum. Wait for a good sale if you can.