Looking for input on a new CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by dmoney1980, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dmoney1980

dmoney1980 Platinum Member

Current setup:
    Fractal Define mini
    i5 2500k OC @ 4.3ghz at stock voltage
    Cooler- Antec h50 push/pull with 2 Scythe fans
    MB- ASrock z68 pro3m
    8gb DDR3 1600mhz
    GPU - Radeon 7950
    Corsair 650w PSU

Per Fractal Desing's website, my case can support CPU coolers up to 160mm in height. My CPU idles at 41*, during Intel Burn Test temps reach 65*. I have 2 front intake fans, and use the Antec h50 in a push/pull config. I don't have any other fans installed in the case.

I'm really looking to lower the temps a bit but also want to maintain a quiet system. I'm not interested in the CM Hyper 212, I've used it on other builds and I just don't like the mounting system.

What I'm looking at so far:
    Thermalright CoGage True Spirit
    Thermalright CoGage Arrow (height states 160mm, may be too tall)
    Scythe Ninja 3 (too tall?)
    Megahelms Rev C (158mm height)
    Artic Freezer i30
    Thermalright Macho (found one on Amazon, not sure if there are different models. shows 160mm height)
    Maybe try one of the new Corsair h series?

You'll notice thta most of theses coolers are either 160mm in height or damn close to it. I'm unsure if any will fit comfortably into my case. Anyone here have experience with installing a tower cooler into this case?

Thanks in advance

2. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

If you already have a H50, what are you trying to get out of a tower cooler? They're going to have the same noise level anyway because they also use two fans. Your best bet would be to find even quieter fans.

3. dmoney1980

lower temps and noise mainly. The limitation with the h50 is the small radiator size. I could be wrong, and I may be better off just buying better fans, but that's why I came here, to ask the experts :)

4. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

You'll be able to fit a Noctua NH-D14, which is the probably the best air cooler you can get right now. You'll lower temps a bit, whch may in turn lower noise but noise itself is due to the fans. Now if temps are lower the fans should throttle back for less noise, but ultimately if you have quiet fans it won't change much in terms of noise. You'll see maybe another 3-5°C difference, whether that's worth an $80 purchase is up to you. You can probably squeeze another few more degrees if you go to a H100/H100i, but you still have to purchase quiet fans.

You want performance and quietness? Go with custom water cooling.

EDIT: I noticed you said you were on stock voltage. Why are you worrying about heat if you're not upping the vcore? You might be able to eek a bit more performance at stock with cooler temps but bumping up the voltage will give you a lot more result (and heat).

#4 Eureka, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. dmoney1980

I expected better cooling out of this setup is all, and it does get a little noisy when gaming.

6. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

I know, it blows. Same set up from 1988 I think! CM needs to step into today.

7. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

65C during stress testing is nothing. Honestly I can already say that you don't have a good reason to want lower temps, 65C is definitely low enough. This is Intel, not AMD.

Do you currently have the Corsair H50 or the Antec 620? There's no Antec H50. I would expect the pull fan to be doing most of the noise output since the blades are spinning close to the radiator. Have you tried it in a single fan push configuration?

8. dmoney1980

Good catch lehtv, I meant Antec 620. I have not tried it with one fan. I'll do some testing this week and share my results here.

edit: any reason why my idle temps would be 41*? Seems a little high