Looking for info about book publishing industry

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Do you work for a book publishing company or are you an editor?

I have some questions.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I've worked with a book publishing company and with editors in the college book sector. What are you looking to know?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I've worked with a book publishing company and with editors in the college book sector. What are you looking to know?

What kind of work did you do with them? I guess I basically want to know what kind of education they look for, what the salary is like, and what your position entailed.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
My company was a subcontractor and we worked with authors and experts brought to us by the publisher to bring books to fruition. My position was mostly software (CD's that went in the back of the books) but as time went on I worked directly with the editors at the publishing company where i got to sit in on the marketing/budget meetings from time to time.

Education - This is outside looking in (i also interviewed at one recently) but to work at a publisher they would primarily like to see at least a bachelors as everyone i met had at least that. If your interested in being an editor frankly it takes nothing more than a good eye for structure and ability to spot a good opportunity for development. None of the editors Ive met had anything more than either an English or Nursing degree (i worked in the heath care field a bit) and none had degrees in "Publishing". If your looking to work in a specific field you MUST have experience in that field. For example to work as a nursing editor they were all MUCH older because they had actually worked in the field for a number of years.

Salary - for the college industry it was impressive. For a executive senior editor they were making enough to live in a VERY upscale area of Philadelphia, and have a house "on the cape". Starting editors seemed to be making a bit less as they drove cheaper cars and flew coach. The real money came though if you brought an idea to the higher ups. If you have an idea that brings a lot of money you get a bonus - a very nice bonus. Most people don't start off immediately as editors however - all of the guys i met were brought in at the ground floor working as an assistants to assistant producers/editors, traded between 2-3 publishing companies, then finally made their way to "editor" title.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I was thinking of getting an English degree and then getting into the publishing industry.

I wish something would just hit me and make me go "Now that's what I want to do!" instead of all these doubts and second thoughts. Nothing seems really appealing to me.