Looking for ideas to cool a new I7-6700K build

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
I am putting a new system together based on the 6700K with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha mobo in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case. I am looking to get a 4.2-4.5 overclock out of it with reasonable temps. I would like to go with an AIO watercooling setup that is well-engineered and isn't too loud in the noise department. The reviews are all over the place on most AIO's, so I wanted to get some ideas on which ones might be good choices for this setup.

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
Mainly because of the size and weight of the air coolers. Also, the Phanteks case has a lot of options for watercooling and was a factor in my choosing it. Is there a specific air cooler that you had in mind to suggest?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
There's several good ones to choose from the different cooling companies. I tend to recommend the ones that balance good cooling with quietness. Be Quiet, Noctua, Cryorig, Deepcool, etc. And since you don't seem like you are going for an extreme overclock, so you don't really need a huge one like Noctua NH-D15.

With a AIO cooler, many people end up having to buy better/quieter fans to replace the ones that come with it. And then you will hear the pump. Since everyone has different sensitivity to noise, this may or not bother you. Many people install the radiator on the top of their case, and having the top open for more noise to escape. It would personally drive me crazy as I have wood flooring in my office that seems to amplify the noise from fans.

I'm not talking you out of water cooling, I'm just giving you something to think about before buying one, so you make the right decision for you. I'm sure someone who is a fan of water cooling will chime in and tell you how much they like it. It's about making an educated decision.

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
Are the target overclocks that I mentioned within the abilities of the air coolers you suggested? Any specific models to go with the company names you listed? I see in your sig that your system is very similar to what I'm putting together. Is your 6700K overclocked, and if so, what speeds are you able to reach and with what temps at idle and load? Thanks.

Also, any suggestions on the watercoolers?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Are the target overclocks that I mentioned within the abilities of the air coolers you suggested? Any specific models to go with the company names you listed? I see in your sig that your system is very similar to what I'm putting together. Is your 6700K overclocked, and if so, what speeds are you able to reach and with what temps at idle and load? Thanks.

Also, any suggestions on the watercoolers?

No recommendations on AIO coolers, but it seems like most go with Corsair products.

As far as recommending a cooler, I like Noctua coolers. So I'd say maybe the NH-U14S.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Mainly because of the size and weight of the air coolers. Also, the Phanteks case has a lot of options for watercooling and was a factor in my choosing it. Is there a specific air cooler that you had in mind to suggest?

I can't discount the opinions of posting colleagues here. They've heard enough of my boasting for my own i7-6700K system, and I've said all this before. Even so, you might want to consider the options.

I was planning to use an EKWB Predator 240 "custom-ize-able" AiO kit. I planned it for months, and prepared the case for it -- an old but very nice CoolerMaster Stacker 830.

When it finally came close to pulling checkout strings, I pondered various comparison reviews to discover that the EKWB beats the ThermalRight LG Macho by 5C and the NH-D15 by 6C.

I ordered my processor from Silicon Lottery, and paid $50 to have them de-lid and re-lid with CLU. You can arrange to send them your processor just for that purpose. YOu can also purchase a "Rocket" tool and do the de-lid/re-lidding yourself. For me, it meant a 12C reduction in load temperatures with Silicon Lottery's test-bed.

With the Macho, I can clock the processor to 4.6 Ghz and LinX or Prime95 temperatures in the low '70s C. 4.7 pushes the temperatures to the high 70s. From the looks of reviews I read, once you push the processor into the mid-80s C, it will become unstable.

As for the weight, this is all about torque, and fan-weight contributes to torque. The Macho can be entirely passive with a $10 accessory accordion duct to the rear exhaust. The weight of the Macho without fans is about 80 grams less than the weight of the NH-D15 without fans.

YOu would mostly want to avoid shipping the computer with the heatsink installed, and you wouldn't want to knock it over. Otherwise, the weight/torque factor doesn't seem to be a risk.

Reminder: If by chance you choose these options, make sure you use the plastic shim that would've been included with your ASUS board. They tell you this is a "tool" for "installation," but you leave it attached to the processor and close the latch over it -- it is definitely a shim.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Why get a 6700k rather than a 7700k? You should be able to get several hundred mhz higher overclock, or a quieter system at the same clock.

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
BonzaiDuck--Your setup sounds cool, but isn't the fact that you got the relidded/binned cpu the key to your using the Macho? Without that ~12C "savings", I assume the Macho would not still be your primary cooling choice? I'm not sure about sending my new cpu out for relidding treatment, so assuming that I go with it out of the box as is, what would you suggest for a cooling solution to try and get my 6700K to 4.2-4.5 with reasonable temps and noise?

While I'm at it, memory speed is something else I'm trying to nail down. I plan on going with 16GB (2x8). Not sure what speed, between 2400 and 3200, is best. The Hero Alpha can run over 3200, but when I look at the QVL on the Asus website for this board, it seems to stop listing at 3000, nothing beyond. I like Corsair, but G.Skill is an option also. Knowing that I'm going for 4.2-4.5 on the overclock, which speed memory seems right?

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
Why get a 6700k rather than a 7700k? You should be able to get several hundred mhz higher overclock, or a quieter system at the same clock.
I picked the 6700K up at Microcenter a few months ago for less that $250. If I didn't already have it, yes, the 7700K would be the one.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
While I'm at it, memory speed is something else I'm trying to nail down. I plan on going with 16GB (2x8). Not sure what speed, between 2400 and 3200, is best. The Hero Alpha can run over 3200, but when I look at the QVL on the Asus website for this board, it seems to stop listing at 3000, nothing beyond. I like Corsair, but G.Skill is an option also. Knowing that I'm going for 4.2-4.5 on the overclock, which speed memory seems right?

You can also see what RAM is certified for your board by using the "memory finder" tool on Corsair's and G Skill's website.

As far as overclocking the CPU and the memory at the same time (Skylake officially supports DDR4 2133, everything else is an "overclock"), it will come down to the "silicon lottery". The memory controller is on the CPU. So you might have to adjust your settings a little until you can see what your CPU can handle. DDR4 3000 is a pretty safe bet (You can also run faster RAM slower if needed for stability).

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
BonzaiDuck--Your setup sounds cool, but isn't the fact that you got the relidded/binned cpu the key to your using the Macho? Without that ~12C "savings", I assume the Macho would not still be your primary cooling choice? I'm not sure about sending my new cpu out for relidding treatment, so assuming that I go with it out of the box as is, what would you suggest for a cooling solution to try and get my 6700K to 4.2-4.5 with reasonable temps and noise?

We have it from another forum member in a stale post of two or three months that he could OC an i5-6600K to 4.5 ghz with a CM 212 +/EVO/[whatever]. I think his load temperatures were between 80 and 82C.

I wouldn't call the CLU-relidding the "key" to my choice to use the Macho, but the prospects of the strategy led me to make that combined choice. It was a matter of just going forward to pick up a Predator 240 or Swiftech H240 X2, or to completely circumvent all the possible failure points knowing I could beat either of those two coolers if they were installed on shrink-wrap-stock retail CPUs. In that comparison, I beat the EKWB by 7C, and at my clock settings, I beat a dual-fan EXOS external radiator configuration by maybe 5C -- in reference to a review using a similar testbed, OC, ambient, thermal wattage and die-size.

Put it another way. You should be able to get 4.6Ghz with the Macho and no CLU-relid -- with good airflow. You'd need to sustain a loaded voltage of 1.35V or thereabouts -- lower than the default for some Z170 motherboards. I could only estimate that temperatures would exceed 80C. But that would be the case with LinX AVX-enabled and Prime95. A lot of folks became sheepish about those tests, and were satisfied with the limper variants.

What a minute -- I'll get back in a few. Let me see what 4.5 looks like and we can apply a 12C handicap to the result . . .

OK. After a BIOS update wiped out my OC profile settings, I never bothered to recreate one for 4.5Ghz, but I know what I need to know. For voltage, a setting of 1.282+V should allow one to pass the Prime95 "in-place" special test that will reveal any instability after 15 minutes to 1 hour. So I reset the VCORE adaptive turbo voltage to 1.30V. The reported, monitored peak appears to be 1.296V:

Affinitized LinX -- maximum problem size and memory
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
CPU-speed: 4.5 Ghz
VCORE Adaptive Turbo: 1.300V
Room ambient: 72F/22.2C
Reported, tested CLU-relidding advantage, similar testbed with ROG Maximus board: 12C
Peak package temperature Maximum after four iterations, 10 minutes: 64C
Extrapolated value for a stock-retail i7-6700K: 76C

Consider also that my fans were tuned down after my stress-testing at 4.6/4.7, so better temperatures may be possible. Usually, our household temperatures are closer to 77F, so you could add 2.5C degrees for that, or a comparable adjustment for your own room ambient.

MORE: But here's the point of it. With the relidded chip I could replace the Macho with the Predator, lowering load temperatures again by 5C or so. If I wanted to clock at 4.8, I'd have to raise voltage to around 1.42V -- above my best-guess of a safe threshold dictated by "intelligence" gathered about what was likely communicated to board partners of Intel. At 4.5, you could probably pick an adaptive setting above the one I chose above, which is still probably higher than it needs to be.

The Skylake TCASE temperature spec is 68.5C, which is a recommendation for long-term or sustained use. The 76C extrapolation bears little relevance to that, since your real-world applications are likely to give much lower temperatures.

So why bother with hoses, radiators and reservoirs, unless you want to push into an upper range of voltage? For that, do you need the extra 100 Mhz it might offer? The CPUs are made to operate at higher temperatures than mentioned here before shutting down. It's just that the higher overclocks won't be stable if run in the mid-80s C. Not likely, anyway.

OOPS. Forgot to mention RAM. Last I heard, 3000 to 3200 was an optimum memory speed for this platform -- you could choose higher or lower. If you're considering a Hero board, mine is in a lower tier, but not much happens with RAM at 3200/stock-timings in regard to the IMC or VCCIO voltage on "Auto." Maybe I'd seen its monitored value at 1.14V. MAY-BE I'd even get lower CPU temperatures with lesser RAM. I don't need to find out.

AS FOR QVL LISTS: Look for any indication that the listed lower-speed RAM is in the same MODEL-LINE of the make/model memory kit that interests you. So for instance, if Ripjaws or TridentZ has any mention at all for 2,400 Mhz, you could be pretty sure that a faster kit of the same would work fine within your motherboard "OC" specs. Conversely, go to the RAM configurator link on G.SKILL's site, and a match with your board should give you plenty of choices. Certainly, Corsair should have a configurator, but I haven't consulted it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardball

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I am putting a new system together based on the 6700K with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha mobo in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case. I am looking to get a 4.2-4.5 overclock out of it with reasonable temps. I would like to go with an AIO watercooling setup that is well-engineered and isn't too loud in the noise department. The reviews are all over the place on most AIO's, so I wanted to get some ideas on which ones might be good choices for this setup.

Check out kraken x62. I have no idea if it will fit in your case but NZXT makes some pretty nice AIO in different sizes. I have 3 of them in various machines..my two x61 krakens have been running a couple years now with no problems whatsoever.

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
We have it from another forum member in a stale post of two or three months that he could OC an i5-6600K to 4.5 ghz with a CM 212 +/EVO/[whatever]. I think his load temperatures were between 80 and 82C.

I wouldn't call the CLU-relidding the "key" to my choice to use the Macho, but the prospects of the strategy led me to make that combined choice. It was a matter of just going forward to pick up a Predator 240 or Swiftech H240 X2, or to completely circumvent all the possible failure points knowing I could beat either of those two coolers if they were installed on shrink-wrap-stock retail CPUs. In that comparison, I beat the EKWB by 7C, and at my clock settings, I beat a dual-fan EXOS external radiator configuration by maybe 5C -- in reference to a review using a similar testbed, OC, ambient, thermal wattage and die-size.

Put it another way. You should be able to get 4.6Ghz with the Macho and no CLU-relid -- with good airflow. You'd need to sustain a loaded voltage of 1.35V or thereabouts -- lower than the default for some Z170 motherboards. I could only estimate that temperatures would exceed 80C. But that would be the case with LinX AVX-enabled and Prime95. A lot of folks became sheepish about those tests, and were satisfied with the limper variants.

What a minute -- I'll get back in a few. Let me see what 4.5 looks like and we can apply a 12C handicap to the result . . .

OK. After a BIOS update wiped out my OC profile settings, I never bothered to recreate one for 4.5Ghz, but I know what I need to know. For voltage, a setting of 1.282+V should allow one to pass the Prime95 "in-place" special test that will reveal any instability after 15 minutes to 1 hour. So I reset the VCORE adaptive turbo voltage to 1.30V. The reported, monitored peak appears to be 1.296V:

Affinitized LinX -- maximum problem size and memory
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
CPU-speed: 4.5 Ghz
VCORE Adaptive Turbo: 1.300V
Room ambient: 72F/22.2C
Reported, tested CLU-relidding advantage, similar testbed with ROG Maximus board: 12C
Peak package temperature Maximum after four iterations, 10 minutes: 64C
Extrapolated value for a stock-retail i7-6700K: 76C

Consider also that my fans were tuned down after my stress-testing at 4.6/4.7, so better temperatures may be possible. Usually, our household temperatures are closer to 77F, so you could add 2.5C degrees for that, or a comparable adjustment for your own room ambient.

MORE: But here's the point of it. With the relidded chip I could replace the Macho with the Predator, lowering load temperatures again by 5C or so. If I wanted to clock at 4.8, I'd have to raise voltage to around 1.42V -- above my best-guess of a safe threshold dictated by "intelligence" gathered about what was likely communicated to board partners of Intel. At 4.5, you could probably pick an adaptive setting above the one I chose above, which is still probably higher than it needs to be.

The Skylake TCASE temperature spec is 68.5C, which is a recommendation for long-term or sustained use. The 76C extrapolation bears little relevance to that, since your real-world applications are likely to give much lower temperatures.

So why bother with hoses, radiators and reservoirs, unless you want to push into an upper range of voltage? For that, do you need the extra 100 Mhz it might offer? The CPUs are made to operate at higher temperatures than mentioned here before shutting down. It's just that the higher overclocks won't be stable if run in the mid-80s C. Not likely, anyway.

OOPS. Forgot to mention RAM. Last I heard, 3000 to 3200 was an optimum memory speed for this platform -- you could choose higher or lower. If you're considering a Hero board, mine is in a lower tier, but not much happens with RAM at 3200/stock-timings in regard to the IMC or VCCIO voltage on "Auto." Maybe I'd seen its monitored value at 1.14V. MAY-BE I'd even get lower CPU temperatures with lesser RAM. I don't need to find out.

AS FOR QVL LISTS: Look for any indication that the listed lower-speed RAM is in the same MODEL-LINE of the make/model memory kit that interests you. So for instance, if Ripjaws or TridentZ has any mention at all for 2,400 Mhz, you could be pretty sure that a faster kit of the same would work fine within your motherboard "OC" specs. Conversely, go to the RAM configurator link on G.SKILL's site, and a match with your board should give you plenty of choices. Certainly, Corsair should have a configurator, but I haven't consulted it.

BonzaiDuck-- Thanks for all the great info, much appreciated.
I did a quick look for both the Macho and the Predator, and could not find either of them to purchase. What do you think about the Noctua NH-D15S in relation to the Macho? Would you expect similar results from them? Again, the main reason I'm leaning towards AIO watercooling is because the case I have is really tailored to them. The air option is interesting, though. With either the Macho (what exactly is the full model name) or the Noctua, and a household temp of 77F, should I be able to keep max temps during stress testing below the 80F mark?
I agree that 3000 to 3200 on the memory is probably the sweet spot for this platform combination. Any higher would probably start to push the stability limit of this setup.

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
Check out kraken x62. I have no idea if it will fit in your case but NZXT makes some pretty nice AIO in different sizes. I have 3 of them in various machines..my two x61 krakens have been running a couple years now with no problems whatsoever.
Have you tried the Kraken X62 yet? The limited reviews seem favorable as far as the cooling performance goes, but the monitoring software gets bashed pretty hard and often. It's also more expensive than similar spec'd units, which is ok if the performance and quality/reliability of the unit is there.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Have you tried the Kraken X62 yet? The limited reviews seem favorable as far as the cooling performance goes, but the monitoring software gets bashed pretty hard and often. It's also more expensive than similar spec'd units, which is ok if the performance and quality/reliability of the unit is there.

I installed an x62 a few days ago. It seems slightly better than x61 with braided tubes and better pump. The radiator and pump are physically bigger than x61 so might interfere with ram in some mid size towers if you top mount it.

It uses the same cam software. It's buggy but they are releasing updates for it all the time. You can run Cam even without a kraken installed, might be useful to see if you like it or not. The x62 seems like an upgrade from x61 but it's still too new to tell if it's going to be as good. I really like my x61 coolers a lot.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
BonzaiDuck-- Thanks for all the great info, much appreciated.
I did a quick look for both the Macho and the Predator, and could not find either of them to purchase. What do you think about the Noctua NH-D15S in relation to the Macho? Would you expect similar results from them? Again, the main reason I'm leaning towards AIO watercooling is because the case I have is really tailored to them. The air option is interesting, though. With either the Macho (what exactly is the full model name) or the Noctua, and a household temp of 77F, should I be able to keep max temps during stress testing below the 80F mark?
I agree that 3000 to 3200 on the memory is probably the sweet spot for this platform combination. Any higher would probably start to push the stability limit of this setup.

Using the same test-bed of high thermal power -- or > 140W -- the Macho bested the NH-D15 by about 2C -- maybe 1.5C if I remember. The Macho doesn't hang over RAM, and ducts easily to the rear 120 or 140mm exhaust fan with $10 duct-models of either side sold from resellers linked at the ThermalRight website. You can custom-cut them in the accordion folds to shorten them for the case and fan situation. That is, after the duct is cut, you can fit one fold inside the other of the second piece, and without gluing them. They will even secure more snugly to the cooler with a piece of USPS clear packing tape, but you shouldn't need any. (Sometimes, the top PCIE x1 slot and card might interfere slightly with the duct-- remaining precisely shy of the metal cooler, and the tape can reduce any bow or slop in the edge of the accordion duct.)

I wish I'd collected the review links, but they were websites of commonly known and respected sources, like XbitLabs, TechReport, Guru3D and others. I think there's a site called FrostyTech which collects review results from many sources or links to those sources, which then provide a comparison of dozens.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I installed an x62 a few days ago. It seems slightly better than x61 with braided tubes and better pump. The radiator and pump are physically bigger than x61 so might interfere with ram in some mid size towers if you top mount it.

It uses the same cam software. It's buggy but they are releasing updates for it all the time. You can run Cam even without a kraken installed, might be useful to see if you like it or not. The x62 seems like an upgrade from x61 but it's still too new to tell if it's going to be as good. I really like my x61 coolers a lot.

Seeking information: can you show me a review comparison of these Kraken models against either the Predator 240 or the Swiftech H240 X2?

I think all of this is great, but it adds complexity and failure points, and if you don't control your cooling components from the motherboard and you have to use their hubs and software, it's got to beat my relidded setup significantly or I'll abjure using it. I might most certainly use any of custom-water, custom-ize-able AiO or sealed AiO for an Intel socket-2011 system.

I won't take a stand either way. And I'm curious again about the Krakens, which I'd looked at a few years back.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Seeking information: can you show me a review comparison of these Kraken models against either the Predator 240 or the Swiftech H240 X2?

I think all of this is great, but it adds complexity and failure points, and if you don't control your cooling components from the motherboard and you have to use their hubs and software, it's got to beat my relidded setup significantly or I'll abjure using it. I might most certainly use any of custom-water, custom-ize-able AiO or sealed AiO for an Intel socket-2011 system.

I won't take a stand either way. And I'm curious again about the Krakens, which I'd looked at a few years back.

I have no idea about those units you mentioned. I've never used them so I can't really comment how they compare to kraken x61-x62. All I know is I like the ones I have so I recommended it. Not saying there's not any better out there because I'm sure there are. That swiftech model you mentioned might indeed be better I don't know.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have no idea about those units you mentioned. I've never used them so I can't really comment how they compare to kraken x61-x62. All I know is I like the ones I have so I recommended it. Not saying there's not any better out there because I'm sure there are. That swiftech model you mentioned might indeed be better I don't know.

Somewhere there will be comparison reviews. I only thought you might have seen one or more.

The Swiftech has a disassemblable design with the tubular/columnar reservoir on one side. It might be hard to make it work as a push-pull configuration -- can't say -- but I think the reservoir gets in the way of fan installation. A lot of customer reviews complained of leakage in shipment as a real mess. There may have been similar problems with the EKWB, and it had another problem which they corrected.

What about comparison reviews with something like the NH-D15? I can look all of this up on my own, but I thought you or someone had seen something. Trying to save myself work -- and probably less work than typing this response.

Here's a review of the ThermalRight True Spirit 140.

True Spirit 140 review comparison

It includes comparison results for NH-D15 and the Kraken X62. Since my Macho surpasses the D15 by up to 2C for a similar testbed, I'm already so close to the X62 without any CLU-relid that the difference could be made up with a better TIM between IHS and heatsink-base, like INdigo Xtreme -- or for that matter, CLU again. One might want to make the comparison with a stronger test than AIDA64, and there's always a chance that the rank-ordering might change a little with thermal power and other factors. But I can almost eat an X62 without the relidding. And that close would make even second-place just great.

OF course, the risk of a leak or pump failure may be small, while I have to be careful when I throw my midtower across the room or use it to skateboard down our sidewalk. To be honest, I treat it gently but it doesn't seem to be a problem -- the weight and torque.

Last edited:

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
Somewhere there will be comparison reviews. I only thought you might have seen one or more.

The Swiftech has a disassemblable design with the tubular/columnar reservoir on one side. It might be hard to make it work as a push-pull configuration -- can't say -- but I think the reservoir gets in the way of fan installation. A lot of customer reviews complained of leakage in shipment as a real mess. There may have been similar problems with the EKWB, and it had another problem which they corrected.

What about comparison reviews with something like the NH-D15? I can look all of this up on my own, but I thought you or someone had seen something. Trying to save myself work -- and probably less work than typing this response.

Here's a review of the ThermalRight True Spirit 140.

It includes comparison results for NH-D15 and the Kraken X62. Since my Macho surpasses the D15 by up to 2C for a similar testbed, I'm already so close to the X62 without any CLU-relid that the difference could be made up with a better TIM between IHS and heatsink-base, like INdigo Xtreme -- or for that matter, CLU again. One might want to make the comparison with a stronger test than AIDA64, and there's always a chance that the rank-ordering might change a little with thermal power and other factors. But I can almost eat an X62 without the relidding. And that close would make even second-place just great.

OF course, the risk of a leak or pump failure may be small, while I have to be careful when I throw my midtower across the room or use it to skateboard down our sidewalk. To be honest, I treat it gently but it doesn't seem to be a problem -- the weight and torque.

Was looking around to try and find a Predator 240 and could not find one anywhere. Ended up going to the EKWB site and then to their forums, and it turns out the Predator line of AIO products, both the 240 and 360 have been discontinued sometime ago due to continued leak issues and other problems, so the Predator is no longer an option for purchase. Does that put the X62 at the top of the list for AIO's now?
There is a lengthy article https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/kaby_lake_7700k_5ghz_aio_cooler_mega_test/25
comparing 17 AIO watercoolers while trying to run a 7700K at 5Ghz. The x62 is not included, but the Cryorig A80 and A40 do well.

Last edited:

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015

It's all in what a person wants... I realize the air coolers are very close in performance to AIO. If you have a good air cooler you like probably not worth changing to AIO for so little cooling benefit.

I chose AIO because I prefer a big ass heat sink/fan isn't hanging off my motherboard. Plus it gives me more room to work in my case. NZXT has a 6 year warranty on the kraken so they seem pretty confident in it, and that it's not going to leak all over. I've never had problems in the 2 years i've been using my x61's knock on wood...

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah, OP, as I reviewed your posts, I can understand how you might want to go with some sort of AiO cooler, if products aren't available where you can buy or order them reasonably.

I had trouble finding a purchase-source for the EKWB, but they were available in October. Here's another I was looking at and already mentioned:

Swiftech H240 X2

My comments about it precede in an earlier post.

The D15 only falls short of the LE GRAND MACHO by between 1.5 and 2C -- a sliver of a difference. That should still get you to 4.5 Ghz -- possibly to 4.6. Simply adjust my 76C extrapolation.

If there's a 6 year warranty on the Kraken units, that's a very positive factor.

The TR Le Grand Macho seems to be missing-in-action at Newegg. Through Amazon, it's sold by Nan's Gaming Gear, and I think I bought from them.

But if you're in another country, that could make it difficult -- I wouldn't know.

The EK Predator was very difficult to find in stock when I was looking for it. Also, pricey.

Exclude the extra expense I paid to have my 6700K binned for 4.8 Ghz, acknowledged that it was probably $80 over Intel's reseller pricing. I spent $50 to get the processor CLU-relidded and about $70 for the cooler, or $120.

A lot of the AiO's are in that price range -- just for checking up on the Kraken. The Swiftech was about $150 at Amazon; I'd seen it priced higher last fall. The Predator 240 was always close to $200 as I recall. This last search I've made turned up a used 360 unit at Amazon with the seller asking for $300.

So splitting hairs about all of this could steer you toward some wise choice of an AiO that's available "in stores near you." I couldn't say. I was surprised there wasn't a link to the LG Macho at Newegg, but I remember when there was -- it was offered by Nan's through Newegg.

Decisions, decisions . . .

Also, another option -- the "Rocket" de-lidding tool and a Liquid-Ultra (CLU) kit.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

I agree with this post. I have a Kraken x62, and a 6700K that is overclocked pretty well. Extremely easy setup, good cooling, quiet, and I like how it looks.

10ckc4k.jpg

2ag6tyx.jpg

You can configure the colors to anything you want, which is pretty cool. Long ago I was 100% against AIO coolers. My opinion was if you didn't build your own loop it wasn't really water cooling. I have changed my opinion on that and am happy with this cooler. Hell, I have even used MSI's auto overclock now. Before I would have thought that was sacrilege. I am sitting at 20c idle with it at 4.4gz@1.320v in silent mode. I can go higher, and I do some times, but at my res of 3440x1440 overclocking doesn't yield any real fps increases. So I just purr along about 4.4, sometimes more. Its a little pricey, but I think worth it. Check out some reviews, just make sure it fits in your case if you go that way.

edit, the pics were the right way when I posted it. Now they're sideways... ugh. I am too lazy to try and fix, sorry in advance if anyone gets a crick in their neck.

Reactions: rchunter