Looking for help with costume

megosbsd

Banned
Jun 1, 2003
Greetings ATOT! I'm hoping you can help me. I'm looking to do a special costume for Halloween this year, but it's kind of complex, hence why I am starting this now. I'm not very sure who here is into sewing and custom stickery, but I'm looking for some help in building a costume based on the outfit that one of my favorite anime charecters wears. I want it for Halloween, so I'm starting now. Here's a picture of him. It's from the series "Scrapped Princess".

linkie

I think it would look absolutely awesome if I could do this, but I am in need of help as I can't actually stitch this on my own. I am looking for someone who might be in Lower Michigan, or Northern Indiana/Ohio who could use their skills and stitch this for me. I would pay for all the materials of course and if it doesn't cost too much I'll even try to pay you a bit for your work. I don't have much money to work with, but I would absolutely love to replicate this if possible. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly apreciate anything you could do for me. Thank you in advance.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
COSPLAY!!! Last year, my friends and I dressed up as characters from everquest, and I was this mage who used the lightning bolt attack, heres a video of us.

You are kind of asking for a lot too. Sewing a costume of that complexity will take at least 3 days, and you are offering little compensation too. Custom tailors may charge you up the a$$, so your best bet is to look around for premade costumes.

megosbsd

Banned
Jun 1, 2003
Well, I've got 3 months to do this, so I'm willing to work with anyone to get this done so long as we get it done in the next 3 months. 3 days would be a short time for making something like this. Hence why I booked 3 months to pull this off. I know it's not going to be easy and I'm probubly asking for something very complex and difficult, but like anything difficult, if you take it one step at a time, it's a lot eaiser.

Compensation doesn't nessisarily have to be in monitary amounts. I can always trade work or favors for anything that was done on this costume. The materials I'll pay cash for. I understand what you're saying and I'm willing to be as flexible as possible to do this.

ChurchOfSubgenius

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2001
Originally posted by: fatbaby
COSPLAY!!! Last year, my friends and I dressed up as characters from everquest, and I was this mage who used the lightning bolt attack, heres a video of us.
ROFL, OMG, that is incredible! you should send that video to "The Daily Show" or Conan O'Brian, I can just picture you putting on a show for Triumph the insult dog.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002

You are kind of asking for a lot too. Sewing a costume of that complexity will take at least 3 days, and you are offering little compensation too. Custom tailors may charge you up the a$$, so your best bet is to look around for premade costumes.

Are you serious? That is you?

Anyways, maybe this guy can help you in the costume department.

megosbsd

Banned
Jun 1, 2003
Styrafoam: Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

Pipboy: That is a possibility. The charecter himself is a high level mage. So maybe yes, maybe no.

ChurchOfSubgenius

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2001

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA, I almost peed my pants!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! I looked at some of the fashion page and was almost converted to the gayboy side.

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
Good grief, the sites you guys hang out at.

Anyway, the original question.

Look at that picture of the dude and think of the individual pieces of the costume. Dark blue pants, brown tall boots and gloves with red stripes, a bright blue vest-thingie with white edging, a fancy dark blue cape. And fluffy black hair with a really long ponytail. And of course the sword with a sword belt.

Start checking out thrift stores and garage sales. The pants should be easy. The boots/gloves may be more complicated - but for the boots you can get anything you find and spray paint them. Then use red tape for the stripes. Spray paint doesn't work as well on gloves but it should be easier to find long brown gloves. Ditto, tape for the stripes.

If you find a cape somewhere - try calling local theater groups and anyone who was ever in a school play - you can jazz it up with military-style doodads easily available at a sewing or craft store. Hot glue is the way to go, sewing is probably not necessary.

Wigs are a nuisance. Good luck finding one that looks right. If you have a local hairdressing school nearby, call them and ask if they have a student who would like a challenge. Worth a try.

That blue vest thing is just a rectangular piece of fabric with white edging and a hole for the neck. Obviously, a trained sewing expert will do a nice job, but in a pinch you can just cut and then use white tape for the edging.

The sword will be the hardest thing to find, unless you know some serious renaissance-fair types who'll loan you something.

Good luck.

megosbsd

Banned
Jun 1, 2003
I'm wanting to do this costume as authentically as possible. That means doing the stripes, trim, and everything exactly like the show. Who knows, I may even want to get in touch with a prop and costume designer for a movie company (I've surprisingly got good contacts in the movie industry via old classmates) and have them help me with this. After looking the costume over, I've decided to tackle the cloak first as that will be the most difficult to do correctly. Once that's done i think the rest will be far simplier.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: styrafoam

:Q

<crickets>

:Q