looking for HDTV USB or turner card

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm a cheap ass and don't want to pay Charter for another box every month, I know I won't find a PC solution that will give me full cable, but would be happy with one that supports OTA HD channels and possibly the analog cable channels. I don't need anything fancy, just something that works. Googling around the ones I'm finding aren't getting the greatest reviews. the VisionTek TV Wonder 650 has a good price but it doesn't support QAM.

I'm running Vista 64, don't care if it's USB or PCI/PCI-E. A remote would be nice but not a requirement. DVR feature would be cool. I'd like QAM but it's not a deal breaker. I'm most concerned with one that has good Vista 64 drivers.

right now I'm leaning towards the ASUS My Cinema-PE9400. Looking for other suggestions. Would like to keep it $100 or less.

last question if I get the ASUS one, since it has QAM support will I be able to get all the channels from Charter or just 1-99 like when I hook my cable directly to my other TV with no cable box.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Hauppage HVR-1250. Supports ATSC/QAM natively in MCE (if you install TV PAck, otherwise you need to use the hauppage app). Comes with a remote, can be gotten on sale for like $50. Not sure if the remote works in MCE or not, haven't tried it.

If you buy something that supports QAM, you'll get whatever your cable company is sending in unencrypted QAM. Typically, that's just the locals in HD. Cable Co's are moving towards putting all of their channels on digital though.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
thanks for the reply, so I guess without paying Charter for a 2nd box I'm assed out as far as getting the majority of the channels, oh well :(