Looking for good tires to match rims

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
hi guys,

my tires are about to get bald.. and I want to get some new rims while i get new tires.

I have a Honda Accord 99 LX sedan (no rice, just for economic reasons)
lots and lots of highway usage right now.. but probably just city in awhile.

I'm looking to get Motegi MR7 metal rims 17" and some tires.

I was going to go for
(4) 215/45ZR-17 Nitto NT 450 Extreme Performance tires with
(4) 17X7 4-114.3 40S Konig Tantrum wheels

combo for $1088 shipped
the reason i dont want this is because the nitto tires.. didnt have many reviews.. 1 out the 5 reviews said it sucked so..

but i really like the motegi mr7 they are $160 each.

I want some tires that will go for a long long time.. my current tires have gone 50k easy (dont ask me what I had.. just factory)

help me out guys...
Thanks

btw if you know the prices could you let me know them also? I've spent about 3 hours now just looking at all these websites....

thanks

NeoSolo

Feb 20, 2000
your rims will probably be more expensive than my truck.. =)

93 Mazda B2200 going 210,000 and going and going and going...

good luck with your quest of RIM/tires

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
go to www.tirerack.com

I"ve never really understood putting super high performance tires on a commuter car. Its not like they'll help with cornering when the car has so much body roll your mirrors are on the ground. I doubt you need the extra traction for the super powerful starts.

Seriously though you're just gonna loose traction in the water and snow if you get it. Don't waste the money on ultra high performance tires, get good all season tires

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
wow..
thanks for the quick response..

I just wanted some all season tires..

its just that the combo came with those tires.. I dont really need something like that.. just something that will fit the rim and go for a long long time.. and be good on water..

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Kumho ECSTA Supra

However you might want to consider the 205/45/17 since you are interested in a 7" wheel.

I had the 18" versions on my last car, and they had superb traction, plus the price is very attractive.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Cool, more than once I've felt like I've wasted money on my car that I wish I still had and just try to share my hard earned feelings ;)

I've always been a big fan of dunlop tires actually, after having some all seasons and even some ultra high performance ones, they are one of my favorite brands. You might browse the tire rack website, read the reviews, pick a few favorites, then call them and see what they recommend. They have a pretty good staff and can make some good recommendations. Not a salesman, I've just ordered about 8 sets of tires from them now and like them :)

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
wow John..

thanks. I just noticed that you had edited and fixed that link before i even finished posting..

:D

also
what is the difference between
215/45WR17 and 215/45ZR17 ??

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
going to sleep bump...

cause of work..... ah well.. that how these tires are going to get paid for.. so gotta work hard..~~~`

see ya'll tomorrow

Thanks again

LoneWolf1

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2001
VTBigBear, I need a little more information before making a recommendation for tires. Do you have a 2 door or a 4 door? Also, does the Accord have a 4 Cyl. or 6 Cyl. engine? One more thing....what size tires are you running right now?? My guess would be probably a P205/65R15.

LoneWolf1

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2001

<< what is the difference between
215/45WR17 and 215/45ZR17 ??
>>

The difference between the two are the stiffness of the sidewall and the speed rating. You can find a speed rating chart by clicking here.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Why would you spend $1100 on wheels for a Accord?

If you REALLY want to get big expensive rims, remember that the tires for them are significantly more expensive. Also, you don't need Nittos to drive to work. Nitto makes tires for fast cars.

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
Hey guys,

thanks for the great input..

ill be looking into Kumho and Dunlop

anymore suggestions?

wsking

Jan 16, 2002

<< Hey guys,

thanks for the great input..

ill be looking into Kumho and Dunlop

anymore suggestions?
>>

i'll go with kumho
nitto is good tire but its mostly for sporty cars(ricers)

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
man....

I just went to Pep boys...

they had the rims I wanted... man I was suprised.... couldnt believe it...

but thats good..

:)

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
oh yeah

LoneWolf1 - i have a 4 dr, 4 cylinder.. and i think you are right about the tire size..

LoneWolf1

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2001
After doing a little research, I think your best option would be to go with a P205/50R17 with at least an H(130 MPH) speed rating. You might be able to get away with a P215/45R17, but i'm not sure if it'll be to wide or not. I'll check my application books at work tomorrow and post what I find out tomorrow night.

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
Thanks Lonewolf1

btw I have found a deal that would get me the motegi rims and the Kumho tires for around $1000 or less..
fully installed and everything..

how is that? good price?

thanks guys

LoneWolf1

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2001
I did some checking at work today and found out that a P225/40R17 should fit on your car without any problems. Of course, you'll have to get wider wheels though.;)

<< Thanks Lonewolf1

btw I have found a deal that would get me the motegi rims and the Kumho tires for around $1000 or less..
fully installed and everything..

how is that? good price?

thanks guys
>>

If that's an out the door price including mounting, balancing, disposal fees, and tax, I'd say jump on it.

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
aright~~~~~~

thanks Lonewolf1

one last question for ppl though..

what are your thoughts about Motegi wheels?
are they good or cheap ass stuff?

LoneWolf1

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2001

<< aright~~~~~~

thanks Lonewolf1

one last question for ppl though..

what are your thoughts about Motegi wheels?
are they good or cheap ass stuff?
>>

They're actually a high quality wheel. We sell quite a few of them where I work. Motegi's are comperable in quality to American Racing, Centerline, Eagle Alloy, Crager....etc.