Looking for good hosting with SSH access, any advice?

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
I'm looking to find a place to host a website. I've seen tons of topics here but none of them seem to offer SSH access. Anyone know of any good hosts?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mike

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
What do you need SSH access for? That would be the better question...

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
I might be able to help you out. Can you give a more detailed reason as to why you need it?

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
Sorry for the delay! At work.

DeviousTrap messaged me earlier and he explained to me that most hosting companies do not want to provide ssh access due to security reasons if it isnt really needed.

When I said SSH, I meant any way to access the site so I could use vi or whatnot to edit the pages I'm working on and write, refresh, and check it out.

I know I can ftp the files over but its seems so much easier just editing it on the site and I thought this was the way most people did it?

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
And my budget is open! I'm not on any kind of strict budget and I do not need a ton of space. Maybe 300mb max.

Mike

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
Should I try to find some kind of telnet access or suck it up and ftp everything?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Lots of web hosts offer SSH access, I need a BUDGET (an actual $ you are comfortable paying).

Also how much disk space/bandwidth would you like?

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
I wouldnt mind paying up to $20 a month. And max around 300mb diskspace.

I dont know much about bandwidth but I dont expect the site to get hit more than 10 or 20 times a day.

Mike

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Mike,

Check your e-mail (the one listed in your profile).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ross

zuk

Jan 18, 2004
1and1.com provides SSH access with the Business and Developer packages.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Isocene
Sorry for the delay! At work.

When I said SSH, I meant any way to access the site so I could use vi or whatnot to edit the pages I'm working on and write, refresh, and check it out.

You're going to use vi... now you're just trying to sound cool. vi is a piece of garbage. Evolve like the rest of the world, use pico...

Oh and tip for you, never edit a live website.

Isocene

Jan 4, 2001
For those of you with questions about SSH and why its useful:

"SSH

SSH is a way to communicate with a Linux server. It is essential to have SHH access to a server in order to host a website, but SSH gives you much more control over your actions and enables you to do thinks much faster than FTP or CPanel. Some hosts do not allow SSH due to paranoia over security, however, with advances in SSH technology SSH has become very secure.

We will enable SSH access for any domain, if it is for use by the owner of the main account. As you grow you may want to learn about the Linux environment, without SSH it is impossible to do so. Again we want you to grow. We want to help yon on your learning curve."

And Mr Modeps, I am not trying to be cool saying I use vi. Its the only thing I know how to use. And yes I will edit a live site when I am building it.