Looking for gaming tablet

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Budget under $500

Must have:

Good CPU/GPU(more or at least as powerful as my phone, a note 4)
2GB+ ram
SD card slot OR 64-128GB on board storage
7-9" screen
Android

So whats out there as far as powerful gaming tablets?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Sadly, I have looked all over the place, and the only choice for gaming is still the nvidia solution, though, it still has lots of issues, besides the battery issue that was talked about above (and the real PITA way of doing a replacement battery), it also suffers from wifi issues / poor performance, screen brightness issues, touch input is inaccurate, cracked corners, and other issues as well. If you are looking at this, I highly suggest you buy it from a place where you can return it easily.

Most other tablets I have looked at either had pathetic resolution, horrible GPU performance, or crappy CPU performance, or crap for RAM and or lacks external storage (card slots), so, basically, I have found nothing that I would be happy with.
I have returned 4 units this year and the whole experience was shocking to say the least, I have never return so much tech before, luckily, the stores I shopped at said, their number one returns are with tablets, so, I am not alone in returning these crap tablets.

Pretty pathetic that we are almost at 2017, and the android (and apple) tablet market is still in sad shape.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
My 8 and 10yo have first generation kindle fire HD, was going to get them the newest one but was also thinking about the Nvidia Shield or some other tablet that would be better for gaming than a Fire HD. The Nvidia seems like its hit or miss and might be to much for young kids. I think my 10yo is tired of being locked into amazon and its store for apps. What do you guys think for my kids age range?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like the Galaxy tab s3 may have what i want, now i just need to wait a few months for it to come out.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What's wrong with the apple tablets (aside from the fact they're running IOS)?
Lack of expansion slot for more RAM, custom cables, premium price for middling performance, and it seems each update of the OS, the slower the tablets gets, and the biggest issue for me is, it is a PITA to get your own programs on the iPad.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What's wrong with the apple tablets (aside from the fact they're running IOS)?

Id consider one because there hardware is usually pretty good but im to invested into android apps/games to go IOS just for a tablet.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I hate that as well, it seems the thinner they go, the more glue they use on the batteries.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I hate that as well, it seems the thinner they go, the more glue they use on the batteries.

This never occurred to me, i thought i would be able to open it up to replace battery when needed..... FML.