Looking for Cool things to do along I75 and I81

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Caveman, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Caveman

Caveman Platinum Member

Going north to Deep Creek Lake, MD from Knoxville along I75, I81, I79. I'm looking for some good restaurants and fun/interesting things to do along the way.

I75 goes North out of Knoxville all the way to Abingdon, VA, thon to Wytheville, VA, then North on I77 to Beckley, VA, then route 19 to Sutton to I79 North to Morgantown VA, then I68 east past Coopers Rock to Friendsville, then South to Deep Creek.

I'll travel 1-2 hrs out of my way if the attraction is worth it...

Anyone know these areas well enough to recommend some things?

#1 Caveman, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. Caveman

Caveman Platinum Member

Nobody from ATOT lives on this 400mile stretch?

#2 Caveman, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  3. PhineasJWhoopee

What does I-75 and I-81 pass through?

4. shiner

shiner Lifer

I will be travelling that route myself in a couple of weeks.

5. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

You confused me as I75 and I81 do not meet. Anyway, there is probably a Cracker Barrel or three to eat at.

6. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I used to go paddling around western MD, but that was the only attraction for me, other than being in the mountains. I'd suggest getting off the interstate, and driving the older routes. The scenery's better, and you should be able to find some good local restaurants, instead of the big chain crap that's blighting the country.

7. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

Off hand, I'm not familiar with I-75 south of Ohio, and the interchange between 75 and 81 is quite a bit south of the heartland.
    81, I'm not familiar with at all.

Looking at the map, I'd say look for suggestions in Knoxville, and then maybe a visit to Roanoke, VA.

Google is your friend.

8. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

From the map it looks like I-75 and then I-40 to I-81.

9. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

Correct.

10. Train

Train Lifer

I was gonna say the Neil Armstrong air and Space Museum, but thats probably way north of where you'll be on 75

11. rhino56

rhino56 Platinum Member

ok i think i get what you're saying, as your going down 1-75 you get off on 92 towards williamsburg, go up to south 10th street and make a left, take it all the way to state highway 296 and make a right,go to south 3rd street and make another right, go to front street and make a right, go to ridge and make a right, halfway up the block is west street, make a right, go to the end of the street and there is a building on the left with 4 garage doors, knock 7 times on the last garage door, not 6 not 5, but 7 times. A man will open a small slot in the door and you put 25.00 in, make sure you have exact change because no change will be given. He will tell you a time or just say go ahead. If he tells you a time just drive away and come back at that time, it's usually no more then a 30 minute wait. so either when you come back or if he says go ahead park your car behind the building with the 4 doors out of site. Walk into the yard opposite the building with 4 doors and go into the shed out back that has the blue light on it. His name is James and he will do whatever you want for 30 min.

hope this helps make your trip more enjoyable. :)

12. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

13. Caveman

Caveman Platinum Member

OP updated to be more clear on route... I've been on this route numerous times and it's well... Pretty boring aside from the great scenery... But... Thought some locals might know of a few cool things to see or good places to eat.

14. Sho'Nuff

Sho'Nuff Diamond Member

I've traveled the I-81 corridor from VA to Mass many times, but I've never stopped anywhere to do anything. If you want ideas along I-81 in Va, let me know. There isn't too much to "do." Unless of course you like hiking, caverns, and that sort of thing.