Looking for casual, fun and action packed spaceship / fighter game.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We arent allowed to discuss star citizen in a negative light here. This is like reddit. Of course when the whole thing shits the bed I think all bets will be off and many lols will be had quoting people and discussing the aftermath ;)

Paaaarp on stimpire cadets.

3a0NFR3.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
We arent allowed to discuss star citizen in a negative light here.

And yet, you keep discussing it - in fact, you were the first one to mention it. How about actually recommending a game to the OP based on his description instead of blathering on about SC and trying to derail his thread?

In case you didn't notice, there are 4 big SC fans in this thread, and 3 of them recommended he look into Everspace.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I beat you both...that is what I was meaning when I said Descent 3 :) had a brain cramp.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
LOL. I just knew there'd be recommendations for Star Citizen and/or Elite: Dangerous, for the OP who specifically asked for a quick, casual game. Fanboys indeed (or just can't read).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
LOL. I just knew there'd be recommendations for Star Citizen and/or Elite: Dangerous, for the OP who specifically asked for a quick, casual game. Fanboys indeed (or just can't read).

That's why I suggested Everspace (when it comes out). Supposed to be casual and quick to pick up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ I know it's not out yet, but maybe keep an eye on No Man's Sky?

Hard to say if it's actually casual and/or mindless space combat...but it could be one, or both, or neither, plus a lot of other stuff. Doesn't seem like it would have to be a grindy snoozefest, hopefully, if you don't want it to be, though.

Anyway, I have my eye on it because I want it to be everything that it claims to be, and it is a couple of months off, still.

But hey, at the very least it looks like a great reason to re-up on some weed. :D

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
^ I know it's not out yet, but maybe keep an eye on No Man's Sky?

Hard to say if it's actually casual and/or mindless space combat...but it could be one, or both, or neither, plus a lot of other stuff. Doesn't seem like it would have to be a grindy snoozefest, hopefully, if you don't want it to be, though.

Anyway, I have my eye on it because I want it to be everything that it claims to be, and it is a couple of months off, still.

But hey, at the very least it looks like a great reason to re-up on some weed. :D

I'm looking forward to No Man's Sky as well. I tend to get bored with procedural stuff, but it looks like there will be some decent variety with their algorithm. If it keeps me entertained for a dozen hours, I'll be happy. Looks like fun.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Star Citizen does look cool but it's "deeper" than what I'm looking for. There are many things I don't like about multi-player games plus it looks like it would be an expensive game to play.

A "trade-off" would be the X series, particularly X-2 or X-3 (Avoid Rebirth---avoid it)

Granted, these games hit none of your points, but I do find them absurdly relaxing. Problem is it takes a lot of brain investment to figure out how to swing these in these games, but once you do, it can either be tedious micro-management of your thriving galactic space-burger and slave-trade empire, or managing your war-mongering fleet of pirate vessels to rob your local space-burger/slaver neighbors. It does have a story campaign, but you can ignore it from the very start and do whatever the hell you want. (I think I played X-3 for about 100 hours and never started the story....mostly because I didn't know there was a story?)

It is cheap to play, has none of that multiplayer/MMO nonsense, and you can probably make it as complex or as simple as you want. It just has a very steep learning curve--I would say, on average, 12-20 hours to get on a roll. That's a long time for a single player game

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
A "trade-off" would be the X series, particularly X-2 or X-3 (Avoid Rebirth---avoid it)

Granted, these games hit none of your points, but I do find them absurdly relaxing. Problem is it takes a lot of brain investment to figure out how to swing these in these games, but once you do, it can either be tedious micro-management of your thriving galactic space-burger and slave-trade empire, or managing your war-mongering fleet of pirate vessels to rob your local space-burger/slaver neighbors. It does have a story campaign, but you can ignore it from the very start and do whatever the hell you want. (I think I played X-3 for about 100 hours and never started the story....mostly because I didn't know there was a story?)

It is cheap to play, has none of that multiplayer/MMO nonsense, and you can probably make it as complex or as simple as you want. It just has a very steep learning curve--I would say, on average, 12-20 hours to get on a roll. That's a long time for a single player game
Thanks. The X-SuperBox (6 games) has been on sale for $8 before at greenman gaming and $10 at the humble store. I may pick it up next sale.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Please, if we're bringing that into play then we should be looking at Freespace 1 & 2, the latter of which has a fan made engine overhaul and some of the absolute best campaigns of any game. God I wish we could have Freespace 3...

Freespace 2 plus Freespace open installer.

Tis cheap, looks great and its lots of fun.

Whats not to like?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Is that mod or others from that site for FS1 or FS2?

FS1 was released in 1982. It was for DOS 1.0. Might you mean Combat FS1 or CFS2? BTW, there are zero 'actual' mods that need to be done, to allow you to fly any plane from FS98 in CFS 1, or any plane from CFS2 in FS2000, or any plane from CFS3 in FS2002.

What I mean by the above is you need no software whatsoever. You only have to make a couple of adjustments to the flight.ini file (might be the air.ini file, it's been a long time), save it, and off you go. Just don't forget to actually copy the entire plane, all parts of it, not just move it. If you just move it, it will be gone from FS98 or FS2k, and you won't remember how to get it back. You have to actually have a copy of the entire plane inside the main folder of each software, such as FS98 & CFS1, or FS2k & CFS2, etc. Once you learn how to do it, it takes less than 30 seconds to do, per plane. Just go register at flightsim.com, then go to their file library, and most of the planes that have the ability (not all 'built' planes have the ability) give you complete instructions as to which few letters you need to change in the file, and where to find said file. It's easy to do, you'll see.

Last edited:

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
FS1 was released in 1982. It was for DOS 1.0. Might you mean Combat FS1 or CFS2? BTW, there are zero 'actual' mods that need to be done, to allow you to fly any plane from FS98 in CFS 1, or any plane from CFS2 in FS2000, or any plane from CFS3 in FS2002.

He meant FreeSpace 1, that was released in 98. I believe there's a mod to convert the game data to SCP FS2, with all the graphically goodiness.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
LOL. There is, I know I played through it some years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 29, 2015
What about Starpoint Gemini 2?

That's what I was going to suggest. I don't actually have it yet because last time I looked it up, it looked awesome but about a year or so away from being more 'complete' to the point I would want to buy it.

This is the reason I also don't have Elite Dangerous. I have seen so many people playing that game and there just isn't much content at all. It's fun to fly around in a ship for a while and it looks great, but if you want to actually DO stuff, it's not there yet.

I really want a game called Starsector but I don't think the OP would like that.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
That's what I was going to suggest. I don't actually have it yet because last time I looked it up, it looked awesome but about a year or so away from being more 'complete' to the point I would want to buy it.

This is the reason I also don't have Elite Dangerous. I have seen so many people playing that game and there just isn't much content at all. It's fun to fly around in a ship for a while and it looks great, but if you want to actually DO stuff, it's not there yet.

I really want a game called Starsector but I don't think the OP would like that.
Sorry I missed your post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-----------------------------

Pardon the bump. I just wanted to post the 2 suggested Freespace games are on sale for 33 more hours at GOG. I think I'll grab both.
https://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_interplay_220416

DESCENT: FREESPACE BATTLE PACK - $2.39
FREESPACE 2 - $3.99