Looking for bluray, card reader, and possibly usb hub

alidan

Apr 13, 2017
Ok, last time I bought a bluray drive I had someone who as a hobby spent their whole day burning discs tell me what was best, I don't have that anymore, anyone know what blu ray player is best currently? possibly one with a software bundle as my current one kind of doesn't want to play some of my discs anymore, it just hangs mockingly on the 'do not pirate this movie' warning, not letting me play my paid for disc, on my paid for software.

as for card reader or usb hubs, im looking at things that use usb c, I considered getting a 5.25 panel usb/card reader, but i'm just hesitant relying on motherboard headers, had my little brother break one of my usb ports and if anything is plugged into it now everything shuts down, something tells me if that happens, I want it plugged into a usb port and not into the motherboard. I want it mostly for the card reader, a full sd, micro sd, sony pro duo and one that will take an old sony pro duo full size stick too, have images on one and would love to take them off, but haven't gotten around to looking for a card reader getting a new computer within the week so what better time than now.

snarfbot

Jul 22, 2007
hmm, well it sucks that youre having issues with it. what software do you use for playback and what disc is it in particular that is refusing to work? afaik there are some discs that have some kind of copyright protection that make them very difficult to use, i havent ran into any personally but theyre out there and its possible you have one.

alidan

Apr 13, 2017
hmm, well it sucks that youre having issues with it. what software do you use for playback and what disc is it in particular that is refusing to work? afaik there are some discs that have some kind of copyright protection that make them very difficult to use, i havent ran into any personally but theyre out there and its possible you have one.
an old version of powerdvd that is no longer supported due to it being an oem version, and die hard 1-4 25th anniversary, apparently it uses a bd+ or something (what vlc tells me is wrong) to 'protect it' but in all honesty fat lot of good they so all in all nearly 200$ in hardware software and media to find out it won't play it back, If I didn't get the drive mostly as a burner I'd have been pissed.

and I quote protect it because let's be honest, the disc working just well enough to tell me piracy is wrong gave me all the spite I needed to find a way to view what I bought.

snarfbot

Jul 22, 2007
well you can download makemkv and rip it so you can at least watch the movie. you get to use it for free for 30 days, but it costs 50 bucks now.

at that point you might want to just buy the newest version of powerdvd if your primary use is watching the discs directly. i personally always rip them and reencode though and makemkv is pretty fast.

theres some plugins for other players that make use of makemkv for decrypting as well.

makes it really hard to justify the time and money spent trying to watch these movies legally though, i feel ya brother.