looking for advice on my first pc build

Delta52

Jan 21, 2005
As of right now, I have a pretty good idea of what I will be buying, and probably by this summer I should have enough money saved.

Thermaltake Black Highest Xaser III Super Tower $129.00
It has 4 5.25 bays, 2 external 3.5, 6 internal 3.5, as well as 6 fans.

OCZ PowerStream 600W Power Supply, ATX12V, PCI Express & BTX Ready $205.00
VERY PRICEY, but I do want to be able to use PCIe in the future and 600W is way more than enough

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor $155.00
Whinchester core so I can overclock to 2600 or so, saw that in an article here

Going to buy the DFI LanParty nforce4 SLI motherboard when it comes out; Aprox $140.00
Check it out here.
Can't tell what's different between the SLI-D and SLI-DR models though?

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, 184 Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200 PRO $275.00
This is one stick so I have room for up to 4gigs in the future.

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
$179.89

For video cards, I am an ATI fan, but I can't use them in an SLI configuration, so I guess I will use Nvida. I was thinking about a 6800 (GT or Ultra, I cant remember which one has PCIe, and which one dosn't.) And then buying another when I have the funds.

I am still looking for a good gaming monitor, sound card, keyboard and mouse combo, I like wireless keyboards but not mice.... I am putting in a floopy and a DVD/CD-RW drive as well. Also, I am going to be in need of a good air cooling hs/f for my processor, I was thinking Thermaltake or Zalman, but let me know what you think.
This system is built for upgradability, I can use SLI, I plan to and more RAM in the future, and upgrade to whatever the 939 socket can give me in a few years, as well as add some 250gig hard drives for storage, and another raptor for games/OS.

Please I would like to hear whatever comments or problems you have with this rig, as well as any general advice you have for me. It should cost about 2 grand whith the OS and other things like cables and misc. parts.

Thanks!

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
You seem like you have some money to spend, so none of your components are bad, but I would consider a 3200+ instead the 10x multiplier should be better for O/C. And personally I would get a less flashy Tower, probably some Lian-Li, but that's just a matter of taste.

Delta52

Jan 21, 2005
I have been saving money for three years, doing homework and watching the market change every week, and yeah I found some good Lian-Li cases on Newegg as well, and I am not really sure what case I want as long as it has at least room for 6 hard drives.

Thanks for the 3200 idea, I had thought about the 3200 before.
I do want to know what PCI-e video card you would suggust however, because that is probably going to be the most expensive item in the whole thing.
Thanks for you help.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
That case is really ugly IMO. The only Thermaltake case I like is the Tsunami. I would reccomend an Antec Super Lanboy and save some cash.

Also that PSU is way too expensive. This would be a much better choice. It will power it and leave plenty of headroom. It is also $100 cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/app/View...tion=17-103-478&depa=0

I agree with getting a 3200 for the 10x multiplier. You will also need some cooling (XP-90 with Panaflo 90mm fan).

That RAM is also too expensive. I would get G skill or Patriot RAM. They are both much cheaper and use TCCD chips on a brainpower PCB. I do not know how these two compare though.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I do want to know what PCI-e video card you would suggust however, because that is probably going to be the most expensive item in the whole thing.

Get a Leadtek 6800GT. It has a massive cooler and will allow you to easily overclock past Ultra speeds. It is also the cheapest currently at newegg.

Delta52

Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: KoolDrew
That case is really ugly IMO. The only Thermaltake case I like is the Tsunami. I would reccomend an Antec Super Lanboy and save some cash.

Also that PSU is way too expensive. This would be a much better choice. It will power it and leave plenty of headroom. It is also $100 cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/app/View...tion=17-103-478&depa=0

I agree with getting a 3200 for the 10x multiplier. You will also need some cooling (XP-90 with Panaflo 90mm fan).

That RAM is also too expensive. I would get G skill or Patriot RAM. They are both much cheaper and use TCCD chips on a brainpower PCB. I do not know how these two compare though.

I was going for the function over the looks of the case, it had exactly what I needed, but what about this case its even more expensive but it does look nice and clean.
here

Also the only 6800GT PCIe cards at Newegg are here

You meant the Leadtek AGP card right? I have heard great things about it, but I am looking for a pcie card so I can buy another in the future and upgrade that way.

Thanks for the Ram suggustions, I just read an article about A64 memory and how expensive mem dosnt offer much improvment over value RAM.