Looking for a video - How to speak Irish...

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Or Gaelic or something... I think it was posted in the Hulme thread about a week ago or in it's own thread maybe... Perhaps I saw it on another site but I think it was in here in OT...

2 or 3 girls and 2 or 3 guys singing a clever upbeat song about how to pronounce various words in Irish... Looking for that video...

Tried Youtube but came up short...

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Drink a couple dozen Guinesses...fall down, puke and pass out...instant Irish!

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Zin, thanks for looking... I ran across that video as well in my search. What I'm after is more like a SNL parody type thing... It's meant to be somewhat tongue-n-cheek, but is a real instructional video per se... There are males and females ~30 years old singing an instructional song with some colorful backgrounds visible as I recall... It must not have been posted here although I'm not sure where I would have seen it...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Modern Irish, or Irish gaelic is what is in that vid. Gaelic is Scotland, but came from Middle Irish. It's confusing. Hard to learn for sure, makes previous English knowledge feel like a handicap.

I was at a wedding reception once, and I had this hilarious black girl next to me who was going off on 'black' names for being too crazy and hard to spell. I was like, don't feel bad! You should check out the Irish! I wrote Saosirse on a napkin and asked her to read it. Then I told her how it was pronounced and got to see her brain explode in real time. She kept the napkin and I saw her looking at it a few times again later, following up with a wtf face.

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
We have a plant in Ireland, so when we teleconference, I have to look at the roster ahead of time to make sure I have all the names down.

A coworker told me they spell them like that as tradition so that when the English would look for someone, they wouldn't be able to find them. No idea how much veracity there is to that.