Looking for a used full sized SUV UPDATE: bought it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boomhower, Dec 17, 2012.

1. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

As a preface I am full aware a minivan is a more economical choice, I still don't want one.

I'm looking for a used full size SUV at sub $10k. The kids are getting bigger and our cars are just getting cramped. So I'm looking for something big enough I put the kids and dogs into and just hit the road. Right now the Toyota Sequoia is peaking my interest. Not a bunch around in that price range but a local dealer has one with 120k that looks really nice. Plus it's something different than all the Expidition's and Tahoe's out there. Any suggestions?

#1 boomhower, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. SpatiallyAware

In that price range vehicle condition trumps make/model.

I would probably get an explorer or expedition at <$10k.

3. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

Tahoe/Suburban - Repairs are cheap and there engines/trans are very reliable.

4. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

$10K will put you in the low 2000's for that or a decent Expedition.

You are talking about a $40K vehicle with a %50 value cut every 5-7 years.

A dealer will be trying to squeeze an extra $5-7K from you based on condition.

/edit - decade correction :wub:
    thanks to posters below for catching it.

#4 EagleKeeper, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

No, early 2000s Expeditions are like $4000. Why would you think they're so valuable?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3485444710.html

6. Insomniator

Insomniator Diamond Member

7. EagleKeeper

Staff Member

Typo on my part

Off by 10 years.

Thanks for pointing it out

8. CraigRT

CraigRT Lifer

There is not much in the realm of full size SUV's outside of North American makes. (That are any good at least)
    I think if I were to get a fullsize I'd look for a Yukon or Tahoe. Or a Suburban for even more size.

9. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

I would go for the Suburban option. IIRC Fords from that era can have serious rust issues. May or may not matter depending on where you are.

10. mafia

mafia Golden Member

2004-2006 VW Touareg. Built alongside the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7, same platform. Locking-differentials middle and rear, AWD, air suspension, uses parts from Bentley and Audi, top quality German engineering. We own one. Very reliable if you maintain it well. Also, get the V10 TDI one, gets 17 MPG EPA city and has 553 pound-feet of torque ;) (though the V10 ones are pretty expensive used, you can get a V6 or V8 for just a bit more than 10k i believe. We bought ours with 41k miles for 11.5k. Full maintenance records and everything.)

Edit: Also haz a 12 year factory rust warranty! We drive it in Chicago roads with heavy snows and massive use of salt, still no rust! GERMAN! :p

Edit 2: Yeah okay, it will be hard to find one of these for $10k with low miles. But if you don't care about mileage and have some money for maintenance, this is an awesome vehicle!

#10 mafia, Dec 18, 2012
  11. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

For less than 10k, I would get anything other than an Explorer or Expedition. Unless you want to go ahead and set aside a few grand for repairs. Also rental companies charge a lot for SUV's, should you need one while yours is down for a trans rebuild.

12. EagleKeeper

Staff Member

Do they have the capacity that the OP desires?

13. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

A high mileage VW isn't something I want to get into. Domestics are certainly on the table. I've always been a Ford guy but the Expeditions just don't do it for me. Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban are certainly on the table. Why can't the domestics use leather that doesn't turn into garbage so quick? Many good trucks otherwise are ruined do to crap leather.

14. halik

halik Lifer

How many kids and dogs do you have? How about a Dodge Magnum?

I would contend that 90% of people that say they want a full size SUV don't actually want a full size SUV... they just see that as the only alternative to minivans.

#14 halik, Dec 18, 2012
  15. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Kids are 6 and 13 along with a 55lb English Bull and a 110lb(going on 180lb) Mastiff. The idea is take out the third row, add a partion with half dog and half luggage. It's impossible to find someone to house sit the dogs and I hate having to plan so far in advance to do something do to having to make boarding arrangements. I just want to be able to load up and go.

16. thedarkwolf

thedarkwolf Diamond Member

Have you considered the lift over height in the rear of these things yet? Will this 180lb mastiff be willing/able to jump high enough to get into one of these SUV? What about when he is too old to do so?

17. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Good point. Collapsable ATV ramp? Certainly food for though.

18. halik

halik Lifer

Mastif... yeah you'll actually need something big. Expedition sized SUV would probably do; they did make diesel Excursions while back also (low/mid 20s mpg on the highway).

19. WackyDan

WackyDan Diamond Member

Or it wasn't crap leather... It just was never taken care of.

20. leper84

leper84 Senior member

I'd say stick with either an Expedition or a Tahoe. Both are similarly reliable in the age/price range you're looking at and both share parts with their truck brethren so finding parts will be cheap & easy.

I'd shy away from a toyota that age. They will break just as much, and they'll cost more to fix.

21. OVerLoRDI

OVerLoRDI Diamond Member

Toyota Sequoia.

Otherwise, Suburban

22. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

I think I may have found a winner. I went to look at the Sequoia and it had been sold. They had a 2001 Suburban 4WD that was pretty loaded. It had leather(In good shape!), quad buckets with third row bench, and barn doors on the back. It road good and drove good. Everything worked that should except a couple smalls things they are fixing. Price is $8900 which isn't a smoking deal by any means but seems to be fair from all the price guides I've looked at.

23. virtuamike

virtuamike Diamond Member

2004 Nissan Armada?

24. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Not in my area, $12k and up. I really like them but to high. I'm really thinking of getting the Suburban. Any thoughts guys?

#24 boomhower, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  25. DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap Diamond Member

How many miles?

They're solid trucks, but that price seems a bit high from a quick craigslist search of my area. Not really a huge price difference between 2001s and 2004s and 10 might even buy a decent 2005. I think I'd just have a problem paying 9k for a truck that's basically 12 years old :\

#25 DeviousTrap, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012