Looking for a tool that will create an image of an HDD with some specific features...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have this arcade game that is running off of a 160gb HDD. I believe all that is on it is some sort of Windows installation and then the game, and it's configured to auto-boot into the game.

What I am looking to do is basically create an image of that HDD, but not a 160gb image of it. I want the image to be the exact size that is actually being used by the drive.

Part of the reason is because I want to get the game onto a smaller HDD that I have (physically small 8GB SSD) and I believe the game is only 78MB from what someone told me. So it's just the OS and the game I believe.

Is there a tool that can create an image like this? Like if I boot my Win 7 desktop and just have this drive attached to it as a non-boot drive, where I can just clone it?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So I just created an image of the drive with Macrium Reflect Free edition.

It had 3.09Gb out of 149Gb being used.

After making the image I put in my 8Gb drive.

When I loaded up the image, I noticed it still said 3.09Gb out of 149Gb.

When I went to write, it said I didn't have enough space.

However, I then realized that this was a 2Gb drive I had not an 8Gb. I had used all of my 8Gb drives for other games and then I remember I sold the other one I had to someone with Area 51 Site 4 on it.

I don't even have any other USB sticks or flash drives or HDDs left that are smaller than 149Gb to test out if it will even write to it if the drive is over 3.09Gb and less than 149Gb. I may order another one of those 8Gb drives off of ebay though so I can test it out, and if not, it's good to just have around.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
i've done it before, but i think i had to use dangerous mode and use the -icds flag: https://superuser.com/questions/1361361/clonezilla-wont-clone-to-a-smaller-disk

there is probably nicer/easier software to do this nowadays, i just have been too lazy to find something else besides clonezilla
Thanks! Kinda scary to trust it on NTFS. :tearsofjoy:

Knew I recognized the OP and this question yesterday, but I didn't have your Google-fu. :grimacing: