Looking for a system that can generate IDs and track referrals

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I don't really want to put this in a software category as I have no idea where I should look, so figured that OT could help me out.

I'd like to find out how expensive it would be to buy/implement a web-based system that can generate unique user IDs and in turn keep track of referrals. It doesn't have to be the same system/code doing both things.

Basically, the idea is to have someone go to a website, generate an account, get people they know to do something, they would include the referral ID, and each referral is tracked to be used as tickets to a raffle of sorts.

The scope that I'm working with here isn't too crazy, so it'd be possible to do it the old-fashioned way (by hand), but surely there's a better and more efficient system that I could use. If it works well, we would ideally like to use it again in the future too.

Thanks in advance and sorry if my description isn't great. :)

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
You could probably have the referral ID be their member ID. Then, when a new user signs up, they type in the member ID as a registration field. (Simple custom field.) That ID is stored in the database. An exceedingly simple .php file could scan the database and tabulate the number of referrals per member ID.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway
You could probably have the referral ID be their member ID. Then, when a new user signs up, they type in the member ID as a registration field. (Simple custom field.) That ID is stored in the database. An exceedingly simple .php file could scan the database and tabulate the number of referrals per member ID.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'd probably want the ID to be 4 characters long, a jumble of letters and numbers.

I probably could've written something myself a long time ago but I haven't had to write code in 5+ years. Someone else can do it much more elegantly I'm sure. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.