Looking for a replacement open frame power supply

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
This is for an old Dolby Multichannel Audio Decoder, model DP584. No power, and the fuses are fine so I figure its the power supply. Problem is this thing is kinda old, and the original open frame power supply UP0653S-03 isnt made anymore. This seems like a universal part, and there are some that match size wise and most of the specs line up, but never exactly, and the prices vary significantly and I dont know if I'm looking at the right part. Anyone know of a site where I can ask what the appropriate replacement part would be? I dont want to spend a lot on this, so the cheapest compatible part is fine.

18tazI6.jpg

pxqSCSg.jpg

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Are any of the capacitors bulging? Could be just a simple cap replacement would get it working again. The other components could potentially be tested as well and replaced if needed. There is probably somebody in your area who does this stuff as a hobby / money-maker (it seems that every town has some dude who picks up malfunctioning TV's, fixes and re-sells them) and they might charge $50 or so to do it, plus cost of materials (a dollar or two per cap). For that matter, there are surely services online that would test and replace anything that needs it.

I also found these sites:
(guy found a store in New Jersey that sold these -- phone number so you could possibly find a newer version if they don't still have them)
http://www.radiomagonline.com/furni...upply-road-rack-wiring-and-rubber-belts/30017

(place that will repair for $117)
http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/UMEC/UP0653S

(wiki for repair of Meridian audio equipment that suggests a replacement power supply which I found for $42 from first Google link -- will require some extensive DIY)
http://www.meridianunplugged.com/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Supply_Replacement

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Hop on Digikey/Mouser and look for a supply with comparable power specs. The connector is fairly standard; the pinouts will likely be different. It also have slightly different geometry.

So, basically the same work that would be required with the meridianunplugged link posted above :p

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
One cap is bulging. I saw those links when I did my initial search and was trying to avoid going over $100 for this. I saw a handful of supplies that match the form factor and outputs, but nothing never really matches up just right. Even the original suggested replacement parts are no longer made, and then even a lot of the sites that could source those are no longer in business. I could just buy the part, but its like $250 for one that was serviced. Thats about what it would cost to just buying a working decoder on ebay.

Some of the parts sites show newer replacement options for deprecated parts, so I guess I was just wondering if anyone here knew of one that specialized in older AV equipment. Actually, I was just trying to see if I could look up the cheapest ($20 new) semi comparable spec'd parts to see if they would work. Last week I decided to just have it repaired, so I started looking at local repair shops. There was one online shop that looks like they would do it for $50, but I havent followed up yet. Got off on a tangent at looking for a electronic repair class, which led to thinking about going back to school to study mechatronics! Anyways, thanks for the replies.