Looking for a Quote by someone "famous"...

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
I'm not looking for a specific quote that I know is out there... More or less just hoping there is one that is out there that comes close to the idea communicated in the subject of this post...

Quote is for a small essay/speech.

Oct 4, 2004
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Robert Heinlein

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
"the good thing about change is that nothing changes but the changes" - gary busey.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: goog40
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Teach a man to build a fire he will be warm for a day, but if you light the man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mageslayer

Apr 16, 2007
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Originally posted by: goog40

Teach a man to build a fire he will be warm for a day, but if you light the man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.

sig stealer

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Not exactly what you want, I'm sure, but this is an excerpt from William Faulkner's 1949 acceptance speech of the Nobel Prize in Literature, and it has always and ever stirred me:

I decline to accept the end of man. It is easy enough to say that man is immortal simply because he will endure: that when the last dingdong of doom has clanged and faded from the last worthless rock hanging tideless in the last red and dying evening, that even then there will still be one more sound: that of his puny inexhaustible voice, still talking. I refuse to accept this. I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet's, the writer's, duty is to write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past.

You probably want something more pithy. Here you go:

Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill