looking for a nice Mini-DV Camcorder

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
Mine got stolen last week. :(

I had an old 8MM camcorder...lasted me for over 10 years. :eek:

Anyway, I am looking for a new camcorder -- miniDV format.

What are some good ones? And of course, I need a good deal on it!

Thanks!!

**edit**
budget up to around $1000 or so...

i'm actually going to need it by this friday, because my parents are going on a week long cruise to Alaska, and they wanted to borrow my camcorder. But i got it jacked, so I need to get a new one by Friday so they can use it.

I don't know a whole lot about camcorders. I just want to get a good deal on it, have a very nice picture on it, have it be small and portable so even my mom won't mind using it. Oh yeah - and it has to connect to my computer so i can transfer video (but this is a pretty standard feature, I assume).

thanks for all the help everyone!

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I have a Panasonic dv851. No complaints besides it sucking when it's dark out, making concert settings somewhat difficult to tape.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
well if it helps, up to around $1000 or so...

something like freesia39's would be cool.

i'm actually going to need it by this friday, because my parents are going on a week long cruise to Alaska, and they wanted to borrow my camcorder. But i got it jacked, so I need to get a new one by Friday so they can use it.

I don't know a whole lot about camcorders. I just want to get a good deal on it, have a very nice picture on it, have it be small and portable so even my mom won't mind using it. Oh yeah - and it has to connect to my computer so i can transfer video (but this is a pretty standard feature, I assume).

thanks for all the help everyone!

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Oh yeah - and it has to connect to my computer so i can transfer video (but this is a pretty standard feature, I assume).

Well... not always. Just make sure that it has a firewire hookup.

Mar 15, 2003
Hey, I was in a similar boat recently (though the budget was only $800).. My sister and her husband needed a camera so I went on a quest for info.. Sadly, Most sub $1,200 cameras SUCK in low light.. Some are better than others (JVCs and Canon ZR series are about the worst) but most of them are terrible.. In good lighting all the cameras offer similar images - whether it's $500 or $1000.. Panasonic cameras are pretty good values.. JVCs suck at low light but are fair considering the price.. Canon Optura's are very good..the ZR series would be great if it wasn't for the low light issue and some motor hum (another problem with low-end dig camcorders).. Sony's are great but expensive.. Low end sony's suffer from the same low light issues but if you can get a trv900 on ebay - grab it.. Great low light ability and 3 CCDs to boot... That was my camera before I had to sell it (lost my job)... anyways, I'm not giving you exact model numbers because manufacturers play the model number game all the time - they release the same product every product cycle and just change the model number.. really annoying..

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
camcorderinfo.com

try this site for further info, the Sony DRP pc105 is small and about $1K

I have a larger Sony TRV 38 which is just fine. I think it was about $800.

There are additional links on the right to discuss/read about other options.

Do NOT buy from non-authorized online dealers you will get screwed into either buying non-essential, marked-up accessories, high shipping, non-USA models, or receive nothing but a back-order notice...

Make sure you get a camera with fire-wire for video editing, USB 1.0 is usually provided.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
thanks for the advice so far guys

i am leaning towrads a nice sony, just becuase they seem so awesome

but how are those really small camcorders (like the ones in the skater videos?)? are they any good? Or just expensive because they are small?

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I have a JVC GR-DVL510u, and it is nice, but as mentioned before, under low light is doesn't do a very good job.... However, you learn to live with and tweak the settings. Overall, very satisfied. If I were buying another one right now I would pick the JVC - DV800us....