Looking for a new TV

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I currently have a Sony 55 inch xbr850d which I got two to three years ago. Lately the TV is just being slow, and buggy. It runs Android which got maybe 3 to 4 updates since I've had it.

At first I really enjoyed having an Android OS the since most of my devices are Android and this made casting to the TV very easy. It has a version of Chromecast built in that makes connecting and casting simple. Lately sometimes I notice the TV disconnecting from the internet at least two to three times a week. I often have to reboot it for it to stabilize again.

I like the colors and 4k content is fine on it. I game on it all the time using my ps4 pro and Xbox one X and I don't notice any issues with HDR if it's implemented correctly and I don't notice any input lag either. It just has become annoying to navigate and use the interface due to the slowness.

I'm not even sure how much ram it has as I know Android does use up a good amount depending on how many apps are open on it.

If I were to stick with another Android TV, do the newer models have better hardware?

I'm looking something comparable as I don't have cable and mainly use the internet to stream any content I watch. I'd like to sell this one and get something else but I haven't been following the latest trends in TV's.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I suggest an alternative is a samsung smart tv. It runs the samsung OS (Tizen)and has excellent wifi connection to your router, forming a network with the tv, phone and pc. The smart tv "live" streaming capability employs a wifi connection. Most of the appropriate apps appear on the bottom of the screen and you can launch the You Tube, Netflix, Weather Channel, etc., app to view the content over an internet connection. What is lacking here is that if you are playing say a video on your pc, I don't know of any way to direct it to the tv. I understand can do that with content playing on a phone.

The casting app is for files located on the pc or phone called smart view available for IOS and windows. I personally d/l movie to the pc and then play them on the tv. It also casts music and photos files but I use smart view mostly for movies. So the pc is in another room but the movies cast by wifi to the tv show up as the files themselves and I can pick and chose what to play. Very nice but I'm sure all modern tvs can do this.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/apps/smartview/

Here is a typical tv product, last yrs version. I have only used this brand and the wifi/smart tv capability is very good.

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...dr-led-tizen-smart-tv-un49nu8000fxzc/12334057

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Most smart TV's have a media server application built in, at least my Sony TV does where I can see my desktop computer in my room and casting from it.

I'll have to check out the newer Samsung TV's as I really was not a fan of LG's interface either.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Samsung's refusal to implement Dolby Vision (despite a price premium) makes their stuff really unrecommendable. The F (2018) Sonys are good and are still getting software updates - I suggest the X900F if you can find a deal.

Best deal right now is probably the Vizio PQ65-F1, discounted as it's soon to be replaced by the very similar P659-G1. But honestly, if all you're complaining about is the slow smart TV interface, why not just get a Chromecast Ultra and call it a day?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Samsung's refusal to implement Dolby Vision (despite a price premium) makes their stuff really unrecommendable. The F (2018) Sonys are good and are still getting software updates - I suggest the X900F if you can find a deal.

Best deal right now is probably the Vizio PQ65-F1, discounted as it's soon to be replaced by the very similar P659-G1. But honestly, if all you're complaining about is the slow smart TV interface, why not just get a Chromecast Ultra and call it a day?
The tv itself has Chromecast built in so I don't really need a Chromecast. I was thinking that if I end up selling it locally I will probably want to get something like the LG C8 oled series. But only if I can sell this one because I don't want to give it away or throw it out. I'd give it to a family member but no one needs a tv currently.

I do like all the more options for apps you get on a TV running Android compared to another OS skin, but I just wish they had bumped the specs up on this one so it could run it smoothly.