Looking for a new printer

memory

Oct 3, 2010
My Canon Pixma ip2000 printer will not print anymore. I don't know what the problem is. It sends the paper through but nothing shows up on the paper. I have tried different ink, tried deep cleaning and nothing helped. I would assume that it would not be worth it to get it fixed, am I right?

I have been looking at getting a new inkjet. It does not have to be an AIO but doesn't matter too much. My concern is I do not do alot of printing at all. There are times that the printer will sit for several months without being used especially in the summer time. Would a laser printer be better for my situation? Truthfully, I really don't want a laser printer because they take up so much space and they are more expensive. Plus my dad has a laser printer which is shared through our network. I just don't want to turn his computer on to be able to print something.

The most I would want to spend is $100. Where would be a good place to shopping for printers, Office Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, any other place? Most likely I will end up buying from either Newegg of ebay.

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
I recently picked up a Brother AIO Laser (mono) model is 7065 (DN). It has USB and Ethernet. I hooked it up to my router. Not only is it awesomely fast, the replacement toner for it, high yield like 3000-5000 pages I paid $56. This is in Canada. My wife prints book's worth each day, we had no choice. I will never EVER go with inkjet again, ever. Being plugged directly into a router, or switch, no systems need to be on. It works on our Win7, iMac, 2 laptops... never jams.

That model used to be expensive, but I picked it up at a local store for $99 on sale. I will never buy anything else. I've noticed other Brother printers having those kind of sales. If you can shop around and wait, might be your best bet.

PS: All this assuming you don't need colour??

cantholdanymore

Mar 20, 2011
Kind of the same situation here, I was thinking about the Epson NX230 about $70. Most every single printer seems to have bad user reviews in amazon.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Yes it needs to be a color printer. That is why I would not want a laser since color lasers are more expensive. I would like to have one that prints photos as well, not a must have but would like to have that.

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
I know this is going to suck but honestly, we use a mono laser for b/w and for colour we use an inkject but even that we try and use sparsely. At the end the day 95% of what we do is black and white and hence the laser. The few times we need colour we suffer though the expensive inkjets and honestly not sure which of those is best. But it seems they've made is so we really need two printers cost wise.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
I would go to walmart and buy an hp deskjet 1000, it includes black and color ink. When you run out of ink, sell the printer, buy another one profit and win.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Just in case you ever decide to get an iPAD, make sure that the new printer can handle wireless AIR PRINT. I believe the newer HP models do.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I can somewhat understand the Corkyg reasoning, but if you, like me, don't want to be ripped off by ipad stupidity which is a long term unsustainable technology, reasonable people should look at reducing per page printing costs rather than new fads that will kite your average per page printing costs for temporary convenience.