Looking for a new monitor for sensitive eyes

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
I've been using an old Dell E196FP monitor, it finally went on me. I have very sensitive eyes so it's always hard for me to purchase screen oriented products like this or a phone

I'm looking for 20 - 22 inches I think I would like to spend no more than $150

Any recommendations?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
To keep similar pixel density you want to go with a 24" 1080p monitor, even that will be higher pixel density than you're used to.

Your current monitor is 86 PPI
1080p @ 24" is 91 PPI
1080p @ 27" is 81 PPI
If you got a 1080p monitor at 22" it would be 100 PPI, a lot denser than your current panel, text would appear smaller

If you want the text to be similar sized as your current monitor, but on a larger panel, you will want either 1080p 24" or 1080p 27"

Reactions: iamloco724

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
To keep similar pixel density you want to go with a 24" 1080p monitor, even that will be higher pixel density than you're used to.

1080p @ 24" is 91 PPI
1080p @ 27" is 81 PPI
If you got a 1080p monitor at 22" it would be 100 PPI, a lot denser than your current panel, text would appear smaller

If you want the text to be similar sized as your current monitor, but on a larger panel, you will want either 1080p 24" or 1080p 27"

Thank you for that info, that is very helpful and definitely important to me.

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011

1080p @ 24" is 91 PPI
1080p @ 27" is 81 PPI

So of the 2 the 27 inch you think would likely be more appealing to my eyes when it comes to PPI?

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I have very sensitive eyes so it's always hard for me to purchase screen oriented products like this or a phone
Please expand? What exactly has been your experience with screens in the past, and what screens have you found acceptable? Did you have your old monitor set up in a specific way which you found most comfortable?

PPI is only one aspect of the equation, and it might be the magic bullet. Or it could be irrelevant. Some people are sensitive to other stuff and "flicker-free" or "low blue light" features may be more helpful. Thankfully the latter are becoming more and more prevalent.

Unfortunately (as I'm sure you understand) none of us know exactly what you feel comfortable with, so it's best if you can try out the screens in person. Otherwise any advice is just an educated guess.

Reactions: lakedude

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Please expand? What exactly has been your experience with screens in the past, and what screens have you found acceptable? Did you have your old monitor set up in a specific way which you found most comfortable?

PPI is only one aspect of the equation, and it might be the magic bullet. Or it could be irrelevant. Some people are sensitive to other stuff and "flicker-free" or "low blue light" features may be more helpful. Thankfully the latter are becoming more and more prevalent.

Unfortunately (as I'm sure you understand) none of us know exactly what you feel comfortable with, so it's best if you can try out the screens in person. Otherwise any advice is just an educated guess.

Yeah, this is really the only way to know if you like a particular monitor, or TV for that matter.

I bought the Dell I recommended at Best Buy, and all my local Best Buys still show it being in stock/on display at their stores. Maybe see if your local ones do as well.

sonicology

Oct 15, 2008
Some people are sensitive to other stuff and "flicker-free" or "low blue light" features may be more helpful. Thankfully the latter are becoming more and more prevalent.
Could also download f.lux or a similar app/program to cut down on blue light; I've been using it for the last 6 months, and can't imagine how I managed without it now.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Could also download f.lux or a similar app/program to cut down on blue light; I've been using it for the last 6 months, and can't imagine how I managed without it now.
Holy lurker batman

But yes, F.lux can help for some people, others need to make sure they purchase specific flicker-free panels.

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
Ok well in the past when I have tried new monitors the text was an issue both in size and readability in other ways. When it comes to my basic problems, I think it's a mix of blue light and overall some screens being too bright where if I adjust that I can't seem to get the colors looking realistic it will often be dull. What magnifies this issue is I am into photo editing so colors are very important, so it can be a bit frustrating to find the right setup to is good for my eyes and good for my photos.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Ok well in the past when I have tried new monitors the text was an issue both in size and readability in other ways. When it comes to my basic problems, I think it's a mix of blue light and overall some screens being too bright where if I adjust that I can't seem to get the colors looking realistic it will often be dull. What magnifies this issue is I am into photo editing so colors are very important, so it can be a bit frustrating to find the right setup to is good for my eyes and good for my photos.

It sounds like you might prefer a "lower" DPI and larger text, but I think FHD ("1080p") is too low of a resolution for 27" (unless solely for gaming). Personally I get eyestrain from too low of a DPI and my eyes try to interpret the individual pixels rather than just the text, and I assume others do also (?). Though obviously ymmv.

So I would suggest trying out FHD 24" monitors with IPS panels, hopefully with the money saved instead of going up to 27" you can get a better quality monitor. And I mention IPS because in general it has better color reproduction. A newer model with both "flicker-free" and "low blue light" features might be exactly what you're looking for.

I assume there are a number of options in that price range, sorry I'm not able to suggest specific products. Perhaps if you have needs such as certain inputs (VGA, HDMI, or DP) or certain mounting options (portrait mode, or VESA mounts) they might help whittle down the options. Even things you might find useful like built in speakers or a USB hub can help make a decision when all else is equal.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Personally I get eyestrain from too low of a DPI and my eyes try to interpret the individual pixels rather than just the text, and I assume others do also
That would likely depend on your seated viewing distance.

PPI and screen size go hand in hand with your seated viewing distance. You need to take them all into account when looking for a new monitor.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I've been using an old Dell E196FP monitor, it finally went on me. I have very sensitive eyes so it's always hard for me to purchase screen oriented products like this or a phone

I'm looking for 20 - 22 inches I think I would like to spend no more than $150

Any recommendations?
What exactly do you mean by the phrase "very sensitive eyes"? Different people might mean different things in using those words.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
That would likely depend on your seated viewing distance.

PPI and screen size go hand in hand with your seated viewing distance. You need to take them all into account when looking for a new monitor.
True true. As I stated above any advice here is an educated guess.

For the record I regularly use this site to give me a reference. Not that I consider it perfect by any means, but it's a simple tool for me to form a baseline. Obviously every situation is different, and OP obviously prefers lower DPI to what is suggested. But on top of my personal reservations against ever recommending a 27" FHD monitor, I think in OP's case with a limited budget it's better to look at a decent 24" monitor with features to prevent eyestrain.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
True true. As I stated above any advice here is an educated guess.

For the record I regularly use this site to give me a reference. Not that I consider it perfect by any means, but it's a simple tool for me to form a baseline. Obviously every situation is different, and OP obviously prefers lower DPI to what is suggested. But on top of my personal reservations against ever recommending a 27" FHD monitor, I think in OP's case with a limited budget it's better to look at a decent 24" monitor with features to prevent eyestrain.

This is my go-to site

https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

And yes, generally I agree, 27" is simply unsuited for FHD for most people, I mean, I personally am using a 43" 3840x2160 panel as my primary.

BUT, if he does want the text to be larger than what he currently has, that's one of his options that would be close to his price range.

If he's fine moving the monitor closer, or just fine with smaller text at the same distance, then 24" 1080p is a good place to start.

Reactions: richaron

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
Thanks so far for all the info. I definitely can't go smaller with text it either needs to be the same or a little bigger. The monitor is already at a good distance for me, I can't bring it any closer in my opinion.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Your old monitor would not be recommended by most of the people giving you advice, yet you liked the Dell E196FP which is the most important thing.

Since the new monitor is for you not for any of us and since you have unique needs the best thing for you to do is take a trip to Best Buy (or similar) and compare monitors yourself in person. Take your time and get something you like regardless of what others might think.

Back before flat screens it was more common to run a screen in a non-native resolution. If you needed stuff to look bigger you just lower the displayed resolution and the problem was solved.

With modern flat screens running a non-native res will cause blurriness, so these days you typically want to run in your screen's native resolution.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I just tried several things to magnify my screen and they were all terrible. Windows magnifier tool has horrible lag.

I was not able to pick a resolution that was an exact multiple of my screen. For example my screen res is 1920 by 1080 and I wanted to run at 960 by 540 but that was not a choice. Manually going in and selecting 960 by 540 did not work either, which I found odd and frustrating.

I was hoping the OP could run at a lower res to get a magnifying effect but I'm not having much luck so far...

When I picked 960 by 540 the software converted that to 1024 by 768.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I got my screen to work at 960 by 540 but it was blurrier than anticipated. The pixels must not line up exactly. Researching...

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
I just went to micro center to look ,when it comes to size and resolution combo I think it definitely needs to be 27 inches at 1080. That was the combination where the text was the clearest and at a good size for me. It's hard to judge anything more than that with colors and brightness with different ambient lighting.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I just went to micro center to look ,when it comes to size and resolution combo I think it definitely needs to be 27 inches at 1080. That was the combination where the text was the clearest and at a good size for me. It's hard to judge anything more than that with colors and brightness with different ambient lighting.

my suggestion would be something like this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236758

Just so you're aware, most monitors these days don't support VGA, so you may need an adapter if your GPU doesn't have DVI or HDMI.

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
After searching a bit I have put these on my list...If anyone has any input from first hand experience or just based on specs I'm all ears.

ASUS VP279Q-P
ASUS VZ279H
ASUS VP278H-P
Dell SE2717HR
BenQ GW2780
BenQ EW2775ZH