Looking for a Multiplayer Cooperative FPS

brockj

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2005
I love playing WWII FPS games. I rarely play any multiplayer games, but recently a few of my friends have started playing some FPS games.

What I would like to find is a good multiplayer cooperative game, preferably WWII genre. Can be LAN or internet (assuming one of us could host it). Any recommendations?

I have the COD's, MOH's, and one of the BIA (road to hill 30) and enjoy all of them, but just think it would be fun to team up with my buds and play together.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Battlefield 1942 and the expansions. Great game and you can probably get it for dirt cheap these days.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
co-op vs. the AI or co-op vs. other players?

the games people are listing are not co-op vs. the AI.

brockj

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2005
I honestly would prefer co-op vs AI

Originally posted by: pontifex

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: brockj

i don't think there are any co-op vs. AI WWII games.

SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six Vegas are the only (more recent) co-op vs. AI FPS games out that I know of.

smaky

Jan 1, 2005
ArmA
good coop missions, UI a bit hard to get used to. I played this game for about 5 months with friends. Very close to Operation Flashpoint game from 2001. It has modern weapons and vehicles, but there are mods galore out there for WWII.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

Battlefield 1942 can be set up humans vs. bots, or humans plus bots vs. bots.

There's also Red Orchestra. I've only played the mod version though, and the bots still needed some work.

Some modern warfare coop games would be Joint Operations Typhoon Rising, and Conflict Global Storm.

SPARTAN VI

Oct 13, 2005
Don't know of any Coop vs. AI WW2 era games.

As far as shooters go, RainbowSix: Vegas and Gears of War come to mind. Both are coop vs. AI and pretty good games. :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

There's also Red Orchestra. I've only played the mod version though, and the bots still needed some work.

Some modern warfare coop games would be Joint Operations Typhoon Rising, and Conflict Global Storm.

i'm going to take another guess and say that the op means playing through the sp missions co-op?

SPARTAN VI

Oct 13, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

i'm going to take another guess and say that the op means playing through the sp missions co-op?

Yeah, whether or not he wants a campaign or some sort of storyline/plot is another story. Simply coop vs. AI could include CS:S with bots, or UT with bots, etc. Otherwise, GoW and R6:Vegas are the only two that I can think of with coop campaigns (unless Halo 2 for PC has coop too).

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Has no one here heard of Hidden and Dangerous? The first one. Yea it was really buggy when if first came out but it's bugs are almost all worked out now. It's got coop for up to 4 people vs. AI. Some pretty cool missions. It's a bit old but I believe its freeware now.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 2 is pretty sick. They basically did a full mod of the game making it into WWII like BF1942 but its got decent graphics

Jan 22, 2008
Hi, (i'm new)
Being a huge WWII and PC shooter fan I suggest the upcoming Brother in Arms Hells Highway. Recreated cities in holland, levels with historic realism, UT3 engine. Almost 100% destructable environment. That game is going to be awsome.

I saw someone said Arma. Another awsome shooter, if you have patience and realism is your game, this is for you.

Let me know if you wanna try Arma, i play it alot.

Originally posted by: Glitchny
Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 2 is pretty sick. They basically did a full mod of the game making it into WWII like BF1942 but its got decent graphics

It truly is amazinh, you should definetly try this one.

Hope this helped

Qutlass

Mar 15, 2006
Arma with Mods and tons of missions out there for ya. From 2 to 30 players, all coop vs ai.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: brockj

If you have Unreal Tournament 2004, you might enjoy the Invasion Monster Mash-RPG game mod. (It probably wouldn't cost much to get the game.) You don't have to fight other people--just monsters, and people chat on Ventrilo voice comm and share weapons, etc. (Suppose you have a Shock Rifle of Energy +3; you can let folks "copy" it for themselves. Alternatively, a guy who plays a class of character that has the ability to make weapons might make a nice weapon for you (like a Vorpal Shock Rifle +10).) It's an RPG type of FPS mod so your character becomes more powerful as you gain experience, level up, and allocate stat points (damage bonus, damage reduction, increased health, vampirism, more ammo, etc.). (The server remembers your name and IP and saves your character for you when you leave so it's there for when you come back.

If anyone's interested in playing that, send me a PM and I can point you to a great server with an active community of friendly folks. Maps go through 16 progressively harder waves of monsters and it can become real tough at the higher waves. Everyone shares a big prize of experience points if all of the boss monsters are killed before time expires on Wave 16. People make friends on voice comm and cooperate to try to bring the boss monsters down.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Originally posted by: smaky
ArmA
good coop missions, UI a bit hard to get used to. I played this game for about 5 months with friends. Very close to Operation Flashpoint game from 2001. It has modern weapons and vehicles, but there are mods galore out there for WWII.

True, OFP is still the one IMO. OFP has nearly 2500 WW2 addons and hundreds of WW2 online co-op missions Vs'n AI and/or humans.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
PC's are notorious for having a very low amount of co-op games, probably the only good co-op gameson pc ever were those max games back in the day. If you want co-op, you need to go console. You can get most of the medal of honor games co-op on any conssole.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: MrWizzard
Has no one here heard of Hidden and Dangerous? The first one. Yea it was really buggy when if first came out but it's bugs are almost all worked out now. It's got coop for up to 4 people vs. AI. Some pretty cool missions. It's a bit old but I believe its freeware now.

War movie in a box. In my top 3 favorite games.

ktehmok

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2001
Gotta throw Enemy Territory in there. It's old, but it's free & it is almost impossible to win without team mates.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: jandrews
PC's are notorious for having a very low amount of co-op games, probably the only good co-op gameson pc ever were those max games back in the day. If you want co-op, you need to go console. You can get most of the medal of honor games co-op on any conssole.

They used to be more common several years ago. You could play through the entire singleplayer game in co-op in all three Descent games, Unreal (maybe Unreal 2 as well, not sure) and System Shock 2. The Freespace games had numerous missions designed specifically for co-op that are still played today, and a few games like the Jazz Jackrabbit ones even let you play co-op over splitscreen.

I'm not sure why we don't see co-op modes much anymore. I don't mean just fighting against bots, deathmatch style, but either playing through the singleplayer levels or having maps designed for co-op with their own objectives and stuff. I have had a lot of fun with co-op modes in the past, especially if it's with people I know. The only relatively recent game I've seen with it is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and last I heard the co-op mode was essentially unusable in the PC version due to bugs (despite being great on the consoles).

I think co-op type maps are still seen in RTSs though, apart from just comp stomp games. The AoD series of maps in C&C3 is one example.