looking for a multi-player home network game

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
Hi, all.

I'm looking for a game that my wife and I can play on our home network (connected via crossover cable). It is important to remember that we have extremely limited gaming experience. I think the only PC game she's ever played is Sims 1, and only a few times at that. Myself, I've only ever played older games such as Heretic (a Doom 1 variant), Lords of the Realm 1, and a couple of Sega Genesis titles. So, although we're willing to give something more modern a shot, an older game would be ideal.

These are the kinds of games we'd be interested in:

1. A first-person shooter like Doom.
2. A fantasy game with emphasis on exploration and strategy (sort of like AD&D: Eye of the Beholder for DOS, or maybe the original Zelda for NES).
3. A war and conquest strategy game (Lords of the Realm 1 comes to mind).

However, the idea here is to play together on each of the network PCs in real time.

Have you any suggestions? Does something like what I've requested even exist?

Thanks in advance, guys. I know if anyone can help me, you folks can.

kainlongshot

May 18, 2007
Diablo 2
Titan Quest
Dungeon Siege
Guild Wars
Neverwinter Nights
Serious Sam 1 and 2
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Civilization (and expansion packs)
Company of Heros (skirmish agains comp)
Battlefield 1942 (you vs comps)
Starwars Battlefront (1 or 2) - ( you against comps)
Starwars Empire at War (you against comps)

and finally.
World of Warcraft . . . (if you have an internet connection)

/me dons flamesuit . . . "oh god it burns! it burns!"

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
My vote is for neverwinter nights.
You can get the first edition with all the extras really cheap and play forever.

Warcraft 3 is also fun on lans, especially with the tower defense mods.

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
Thanks for all the responses, guys! I knew you would come through. But I do have one more question...

The wikipedia article on Diablo says it can be played over a parallel direct connection, but not a crossover cable. Can anyone clear that up before I try it out?

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
diablos is ok but you might want to looking to Dugeon Siege and Titian quest for you to.

Diablo plot is lacking and it hink you guys might feel more absored in game with a decent plot.

Now I'm not advication piracy, but sine you jsut playing on your home lan I would download a "free" copy from a bit torrent and try it first before you pay for it. I think with your limited experience with games you might give up a quiet a few and have wasted some serious money on games you nevered play. If you like the games go out and buy a real copy and maybe even play on line with people.

One question: Why a crossover? Why not jsut get a cheap router or hub, that way you use it you deceide to get on line later They got wireless 4 port routes for under $20 everywhere.

PS
I second neverwinter night if you can download some modules. Since mutliplyer is not fully supported in all modules. I here baldur nights is fun too.
Also Guild Wars is great fun for 2 people but you need to be only line to play.

gregor7777

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
serious sam episode 2, great fun.

not serious sam 2, well maybe, but I've only played episode 2.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: OrSin
diablos is ok but you might want to looking to Dugeon Siege and Titian quest for you to.

Diablo plot is lacking and it hink you guys might feel more absored in game with a decent plot.

Now I'm not advication piracy, but sine you jsut playing on your home lan I would download a "free" copy from a bit torrent and try it first before you pay for it. I think with your limited experience with games you might give up a quiet a few and have wasted some serious money on games you nevered play. If you like the games go out and buy a real copy and maybe even play on line with people.

One question: Why a crossover? Why not jsut get a cheap router or hub, that way you use it you deceide to get on line later They got wireless 4 port routes for under $20 everywhere.

PS
I second neverwinter night if you can download some modules. Since mutliplyer is not fully supported in all modules. I here baldur nights is fun too.
Also Guild Wars is great fun for 2 people but you need to be only line to play.

diablo may be lacking in plot in a relative sense, but its story is actually pretty good. it also has fantastic atmosphere throughout the entire game, unlike diablo2.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Dungeon Siege was a ton of fun as well. I almost forgot about that one. Just make sure you both stay around the same level nothing sucks more than being a higher level than everyone else playing.

Diablo/ Diablo 2 were good but Dungeon Siege was better Lan gaming imo.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
No one's said StarCraft? :Q
Quake 1
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4

Wolfenstein 3D
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory(free game)

Unreal