Looking for a midsized car

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I have a 1995 Ford Contour that is getting upwards in age and milage. I love the car, its a 5 speed manual, V6 that gets ~25 MPH in the city and ~32 on the highway. My commute is short (~10 miles each way) so milage is important, but not the only factor. I would keep the car for as long as I can, but dont want it to fail on me and am left stranded.

Requirements: V6, ABS, midsized car, ~$22k
Not really looking for something cheap, more a quality, reliable car that will last me 6-8+ years that has some zip. Currently looking at the Mazada6, Ford Fusion

Found this in another thread and couldn't have said it better myself:
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: dud
IMHO the Accord is a great, reliable car but it has a very unimpressive ride.

Exceedingly. I've driven my mother-in-law's Accord a few times and absolutely could not stand it. They cater to the broader market of lax drivers which makes sense and they excel at it, but I'll tell you it was like a revelation getting into a Mazda3 after driving the Accord around for a few days.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Fusion hasnt been around long enough to give long term reliability but I dont see many in for repairs so that is a good thing.

It is also a mighty good thing to see another Contour taken out of service. I hope you crush it just to prevent another soul from the future sufferage.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Fusion hasnt been around long enough to give long term reliability but I dont see many in for repairs so that is a good thing.

It is also a mighty good thing to see another Contour taken out of service. I hope you crush it just to prevent another soul from the future sufferage.

I have enjoyed driving the car thus far. I have had few major problems (knocks on wood) and love the peppiness of the car (manual transmission of course).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
With some incredibly cutthroat haggling skills you could *almost* squeek into an '07 Altima SE for 22k. It will have considerable more "spunk" than the Fusion & 6. Worth a test drive.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
If you can get it for $22k, a altima no options manual V6 is very nice. Sporty, powerful and really, realyl nice looking imho.

f1r3s1d3

Feb 18, 2006
Originally posted by: mastertech01

Haha yup, Countour's weren't that good, but I'm with this guy, get a Ford Fusion!

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The ford fusion is a mazda 6 as is the milan. Just get whichever you like the looks of better and has the best deal. The mazda is the only one you can get with a v6 and a manual though. I really dig the looks of the fusions especially the back on black ones. Sweet.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
The ford fusion is a mazda 6 as is the milan. Just get whichever you like the looks of better and has the best deal. The mazda is the only one you can get with a v6 and a manual though. I really dig the looks of the fusions especially the back on black ones. Sweet.

Yes, I know they pretty much use the same engine, but the styling is the difference.

Any other ideas? Or did I scare all of the Toyota fan boys away? ;)

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Jawo

Yes, I know they pretty much use the same engine, but the styling is the difference.

Anyone saying they love/d their Ford Contour is immediately ignored on this or any other car enthusiast forum.

On top of that, you said in the OP that you wanted a mid-size car with a V6 and then say you are considering a Mazda3 (which is compact and not available with a V6). How can I (or anyone else) help you find a car when you don't know what you want?

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser

Anyone saying they love/d their Ford Contour is immediately ignored on this or any other car enthusiast forum.

On top of that, you said in the OP that you wanted a mid-size car with a V6 and then say you are considering a Mazda3 (which is compact and not available with a V6). How can I (or anyone else) help you find a car when you don't know what you want?

If you were happy with a Contour, you'll love any of the cars you're considering - the transmission will actually stay on the car, for one. :p

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: A5
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser

If you were happy with a Contour, you'll love any of the cars you're considering - the transmission will actually stay on the car, for one. :p

At 115k miles still on the original transmission. I have heard the stories about the PITA it is to replace so I am hoping it will last a little longer....