Looking for a mid-range notebook with ExpressCard slot or Firewire 6-pin

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hello all,

In the lab, we recently acquired a very nice, but old, Zeiss scope with an Axiocam MRc 5 camera attached to it. This has a 6pin 1394 out and requires either a desktop with 6 pin firewire ports (4 pin doesn't work because they need to be powered), or: a laptop with 6pin firewire ports, or a PCMCIA/ExpressCard slot with 6pin ports, and a separate, powered, 1394 hub, like this, because a laptop can't sufficiently power the camera.

We need to use a laptop for this setup for various reasons, and so the problem is finding one, even refurbished and old enough, that has either 6 pin firewire or an ExpressCard/PCMCIA 2 slot for the necessary card adapter, like this

Page 25/17 of this document shows the setup that we need.

We have the powered firewire hub and, despite my warnings, one of our people tried to hook this up to his laptop using a firewire-to-USB adapter on his laptop. about 1 second later, several audible snaps, pops, crackles and the tell-tale scent of burning electronics, it seems that he fried his CPU. (the laptop powers on but shuts down immediately, CPU fan runs constantly top speed when powered on) It was funny, but maybe not so much for him...

I've been scouring all of Newegg and I can't seem to find any Windows 7 or 10 laptop with a single ExpressCard slot or PCMCIA slot. Or maybe I'm not sure what I'm seeing half the time? Many listings have no real descriptions and not even a specs tab like you expect with Newegg. I found this on the site, but then had to Google to see what that enticing slot is on the side:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/review...70-is-a-great-laptop-for-windows-7-pro-users/

...which is apparently a SmartCard reader for credit cards?

I never thought this would be so frustrating. Any help on finding such a laptop would be most appreciated. TIA.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Some of the laptops that came with the smart card readers,can be exchanged for the express card. Just a quick example: This HP http://www.staples.com/Refurbished-...5Ghz-8GB-RAM-500GB-Hard-Drive/product_2413648 lists that it comes with the 1394a 6 pin installed. But if it showed up with the card reader, you could swap it out with the express board http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProBook-6465b-PCMCIA-Card-Cage-Board-w-Cable-6050A2398801/381098981476?

Ah! that's a good option. Thanks, man. I can't tell if that 1394 port in the top option is 4pin or 9 pin? looks to be 4pin, but it has the express card slot, anyway.

I had a chat with our department computer guy this morning (he was away this week), and he mentioned trying a Hackintosh approach which actually makes things easier. It's more common to find 9 pin firewire on more recent Macs, or even Thunderbolt which "should" have no problems with a 6pin 1394 > Thunderbolt cable? Just need to install windows, and we have more old mac minis/laptops lying around. He lent me an old mac mini with a 9 pin firewire port (that he doesn't need) to test and make sure it doesn't explode. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What about workstation laptops?
I know the Dell M4800 has an Expresscard slot.

yeah, that would certainly work. In my head, I was thinking something like a workstation, but I was also looking for super cheap, no-frills, because this thing is just going to need to open one program, save photo files, and live a very boring life. I was stuck on the "cheap" factor.

But it's looking like the Hackintosh--Mac Mini solution is going to work for us. That one didn't explode like the previous dell laptop, so it's back getting reformatted and WIndows reinstalled.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
We have a similar problem at work with "legacy" cameras (that we first started selling 4 years ago, sigh) requiring firewire. It seems you can't get expresscard slots on newer laptops. They've switched to thunderbolt now. Apple makes a thunderbolt to firewire cable for like $30 which we haven't tried yet but I thought sounded promising based on the reviews on amazon.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
My old ThinkPad X201 has an ExpressCard slot. I've seen those refurbished for a couple of hundred dollars, and they're still decently OK machines for the price (although the LCDs are awful). I'd wager most ThinkPads from the ~2010 era have ExpressCard slots, at least the X, P and T series.