Looking for a laptop that's equal to my desktop

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
I do photo editing, this is my current desktop

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz (14-14-14-34)
Motherboard ASRock Z270 Taichi
Graphics 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI)
Storage 953GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB (SSD)
931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

I am looking for a Windows laptop to take on the road that can perform equal to this or at least close enough
That's the only thing I care about besides price which I would like to spend no more than $1500 preferably less if that's at all possible.

Besides the above a matte screen is preferred over glossy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
This will be as fast if not faster:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13862396-h...ssd-rtx-2070-mq-thunderbolt-3-win10h-1161-f-s

Ninth-gen H mobile Intel Core CPUs are faster than yours.
NVIDIA GTX 1070/GTX 1660 Ti Max Q will be faster than your GPU.

Speaking of "on the road" - you want a gaming laptop, so most likely it's gonna be heavier than regular laptops and its battery life while gaming will be just laughable.

Also, you can wait for laptops based on the Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs which are going to get released in the next month or so.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I do photo editing, this is my current desktop

I am looking for a Windows laptop to take on the road that can perform equal to this or at least close enough
That's the only thing I care about besides price which I would like to spend no more than $1500 preferably less if that's at all possible.

Besides the above a matte screen is preferred over glossy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have not obtained a laptop yet consider this one from ASUS with an AMD 8 core Ryzen mobile cpu

The AMD Processor in this thing destroys in multithreaded performance and matches intel in single core performance.

it's about $1499 MSRP and games well, does productivity well, and will probably get 8 hours of battery life with reasonable screen brightness and light computing tasks.

Another review of the laptop

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
I'm not sure how easily you'll find what you want OP, as a lot of gaming laptops don't put high priority on display quality that you'd want for photo editing. I'm sure there are some but they're probably gonna be a bit of a premium. Something to be mindful of as some of the gaming displays are not great despite being IPS (saw some that had really poor color space, like less than 50% SRGB or something, which needless to say is not good). Point being, don't assume that just because its IPS that it'll be a good quality display.

CPU, not sure what Intel models but the new Ryzen 4000 chips are good. But they might be hard to find (seem to be popular so they're selling out quickly) and then you having some specific needs, might just need to stick to Intel, where there's more variety, which they have some new chips as well, but you might be better with a good deal on an older one.

Graphics wise, I'm guessing 1660Ti/2060 should be able to match your 1060 fairly well? Those are pretty common so that should be close to the easiest part to sort out. I'd guess you'd need at least a 5600M if you want an AMD GPU?

Storage shouldn't be too hard, but you might be better off going for a 2TB SSD, even if the laptop has multiple M.2 slots. Thinking about that more, you kinda tend to not have a choice as it'll come with a standard 512GB or 1TB drive and upgrading you'll either pay a premium to the company or do it yourself in which case you'll have a second drive. Or maybe have an external drive of some sorts.