Looking for a laptop for photo editing....

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
I'm in the market for a laptop that can be used for photo editing...maybe in the 600-800 range? It doesn't have to be an absolute beast, no gaming or anything else will be done on it. Just something to run photoshop & lightroom on.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Is this for business use? Professional photo editing requires a high gamut, color-accurate display and probably an HQ CPU. Those don't show up in laptops until the $1k+ range. A desktop would be much more economical for that.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Is this for business use? Professional photo editing requires a high gamut, color-accurate display and probably an HQ CPU. Those don't show up in laptops until the $1k+ range. A desktop would be much more economical for that.
Perhaps for print. I suppose the proper display quality is the one similar to what most people use to view the final product. How it looks on your workstation isn't nearly as important as how close it looks to how you want it to look on the viewer's terminal.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Perhaps for print. I suppose the proper display quality is the one similar to what most people use to view the final product. How it looks on your workstation isn't nearly as important as how close it looks to how you want it to look on the viewer's terminal.

That would be like saying sound engineers should use bad earphones and terrible speakers.

You use a properly calibrated displays because, while the end user's display may delta from the reference, it's at least based on the reference. If both the editor and the end user use poorly calibrated displays, then things would look even worse.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
That would be like saying sound engineers should use bad earphones and terrible speakers.

You use a properly calibrated displays because, while the end user's display may delta from the reference, it's at least based on the reference. If both the editor and the end user use poorly calibrated displays, then things would look even worse.

But it's not always so, no?
If you are developing content to be exclusively consumed on an iPad for example, you would want to calibrate for that, no?
Yes, iPads have great screens anyway, so maybe not the best example..

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
But it's not always so, no?
If you are developing content to be exclusively consumed on an iPad for example, you would want to calibrate for that, no?
Yes, iPads have great screens anyway, so maybe not the best example..

If someone is photo editing for a market where you know that person will use the exact same screen with the exact same calibration? Maybe. It's a moot point, though, because even using the same make and model of monitor will have differences in color and white point. That's why calibration exists.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
One thing we know for sure is that high gamut monitors are meant to show colors that normal monitors can't. Occasionally people with those monitors complain about colors looking abnormally vivid while web browsing. What I mean by abnormal is that it's not what web designer meant to look.

If you're using it professionally for displaying on like monitors or previewing for print, it makes sense.
After all, when you edit in photoshop, you're not calibrating stuff. You're tweaking it to be visually pleasing to your eyes with the goal whoever you'll share it with you will see approximately the same. IPS helps for consistent color over a wide viewing angle. I would think that it's best to avoid utilizing color space you know common monitors can not display.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
One thing we know for sure is that high gamut monitors are meant to show colors that normal monitors can't. Occasionally people with those monitors complain about colors looking abnormally vivid while web browsing. What I mean by abnormal is that it's not what web designer meant to look.

If you're using it professionally for displaying on like monitors or previewing for print, it makes sense.
After all, when you edit in photoshop, you're not calibrating stuff. You're tweaking it to be visually pleasing to your eyes with the goal whoever you'll share it with you will see approximately the same. IPS helps for consistent color over a wide viewing angle. I would think that it's best to avoid utilizing color space you know common monitors can not display.

True, but most professional monitors have settings for different color gamuts. IE-one for SRGB and one for Adobe RGB. SRGB is for web viewing while Adobe RGB is for print.

The point is still moot when talking about cheaper laptops, however. Most of those don't even have complete SRGB coverage.