Looking for a i7 desktop to run IP camera software

tangoddess

Apr 24, 2017
Hello and happy thanksgiving

I am helping my dad setup some IP cameras in his home office and warehouse, he will have about 20-25 cameras.

He has been recommended to get an i7 desktop preferably with an i7-8700 or i7-7700 or i7-6700; "K Model"

Of course, a 'lower' processor would work.

Here is some feedback he received from his friends and online friends who are familiar with the camera management software:

"4 GB of memory is sufficient for a smaller system (perhaps 6 cameras?) but 8 GB is recommended for most systems. The largest systems (20+ cameras) may benefit from 16 GB.

Onboard Intel graphics are more than enough. In fact, it can sometimes be complicated getting Quick Sync hardware acceleration to work if you have installed a dedicated graphics card.

The software performs best if you put the clip database on a fast solid state disk (SSD). However for video recording, you want a mechanical hard drive (HDD) as these are more cost-effective and have better write endurance

If additional display outputs are required, or you find that the software requires too much CPU time to draw live video to the screen (common with 4K monitors), then an Nvidia graphics adapter may help. The cheapest 4K-capable Nvidia card I know of (as of Sept 2017) is the GT 1030 (around $70 USD). You could spend more money on a faster card, but I don't think it would make any difference to the software."

As there are some deals to be had around this time of the year, I am wondering if you had any recommendations on a desktop to buy?

tangoddess

Apr 24, 2017
I was recommended the Dell Optiplex 7040MT with some ram upgrades and an SSD

Is this a better option than the Dell XPS mentioned above?

thanks

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You should be fine with either system, but I don't think it's advisable to use a SSD to record surveillance video. You probably should up increase the RAM, and buy a hard drive designed for the constant writes that recording video causes.

A very boring speaker, but should help you get going on what kind of drive would work for your use:

tangoddess

Apr 24, 2017
Would something like this work

Dell PowerEdge T30 Mini Server: Intel Xeon E3-1225, 1TB HDD

The basic specs are:

• Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Intel HD Graphics P530 (onboard)
  • 8GB 2400 MT/s DDR4 RAM (ECC)
  • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • DVD+/-RW Internal Drive
  • 290W Power Supply
  • No Operating System
  • Ports:
    • 6x USB 3.0 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
    • 6x USB 2.0 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
    • 1x Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
The full specs are here:

goo.gl/DMMoy1

For about $300 plus taxes, new.

Of course I will need to buy an operating system and possibly some other hardware, but can this be a substitute for a desktop as I need this hardware solely to manage the IP Cameras and run the software.

Thanks