Looking For a Good Portable MP3 Player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<< Jogging and sprints is where it was bad. Also while hiking, if I jumped down like 5 feet or so, it would stop playing, and by that, I mean it didn't just skip, but it couldn't read data anymore. CD still spun and all, but wouldn't start playing again until I stopped moving and watied 30 seconds or so. That quickly got returned to the store. >>

you see, that's true for any cd/mp3 player.

even if it has 64 ram, it still needs to read from the disc. and if you are moving vigorously ALL THE TIME, then it will never get the chance to read the disc and fill its ram. And that's true for any cd/mp3 player, not the PM-1.
>>

Then they should stop advertising that you can use it during heavy exercise. It's not like that with my solid state mp3 player or my MD player.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I have a Nomad II w/160 (32o/b + 128 card) megs that I really like. I actually got it from BB for $80 shipped thanks to the GF4 pricing debacle a while back. The only catch with these guys is that they're kinda hard to find nowadays. Otherwise they're great: small, light, plenty of mem, FM for when you run out of MP3's, pretty durable thanks to the metal case. Works for me.

Fausto

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
Hey,

Right now, I'm looking for a good Portable MP3 Player with an FM tuner built-in. Do you have any recomendations? Anything better than the NomadII? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

jimmyhaha

Platinum Member
Jan 7, 2001
drool...
my only hope is the ipod goes for $99...

my dream mp3 player, no moving parts, alloy body, 1394 interface, reasonable price

here is my opinion...

1. cd based = too large and bulky ...
2. CF, SD, MMC based = too expensive for media ...
3. ipod = too fvcking expensive now.. $499 for 10G version ?

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
IRIVER!
get the slimx :)
I did... I'm so glad I did... sounds awesome!
it's just incredible!
great great value!
kicks the rio 250's ass
:) considering iriver made the 250 heh

SirDante

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
Iriver SlimX. Got one myself. The only problem is finding mp3's to burn!

Every single review is at least 8 of 10. Eg. Editor's Choice on CNET.

It also has a FM (no AM) radio.

wampa

Apr 26, 2002
I would also say Nomad II, so tiny for the gym and also has tons of features such as FM tuner and voice record capabilites for when you want to go undercover :). Also expandable to 128mb and has a cool remote feature.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I'd be lookin for one as well. But I don't like the play back times:( and the designs don't look all that good either.

I love my MD but I'm stuck with real time recording which sucks if you just want one new song on it:(

The Sony Memory stick players would be perfect for me. I hvae a Memory stick slot on my laptop so that would be perfect. No wires! I figure the media to be not too bad as I'd only want one album full of music at a time. Other size sticks will come out. 256 and 512 sometime later. I like the design but I'm stuck with 10hrs battery life!

How can a player with no moving parts only have 10hrs battery life? My MD has 25hrs with its own battery and one other battery in the compartment it will and DOES run for 80hrs! No recharge in a LONG time. And the remote owns.

Come on Sony I want at least 20hrs+ on a Memory Stick player!

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
when I goto the gym, my Bantam is awesome. Solid state, holds 128mb right off the bat, and is upgradable with additional cards.

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
I have decided between the Nomad II or the Nomad IIMG. Which is a better player in terms of features, MP3 playback and fm tuner? They both seem about the same price on Ebay. Please let me know.

Thanks, John

Feb 10, 2000

<< I have decided between the Nomad II or the Nomad IIMG. Which is a better player in terms of features, MP3 playback and fm tuner? They both seem about the same price on Ebay. Please let me know.

Thanks, John
>>

As a former owner of the Nomad II MG (I left it on a plane), I recommend the Nomad II. The MG was quite a bit more expensive at retail, and to the extent they cost the same on Ebay I think it reflects that the Nomad II is the superior design. The MG is ergonomically poor in that the buttons are along the edges of the player, so it is impossible to hold onto while running, etc. without locking the player. The only real advantages of the MG are its undeniable coolness, and the docking station, which is handy but not critical IMO.