Looking for a good game to play with my son ...

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001

I used to play CoD years ago with my son ... it was a way to stay connected since he went into the Army. We used to have a ball teaming up to kick some butt.

A few months ago my son was transferred to Hawaii (yes, I know ... it's a rough life in the Army) and he is five hours behind me now. I am looking for a simple on-line game to stay "connected" ... again.

I've looked at some flash-based games but while fun, don't seem fun enough. If you were 6,000 miles from your kid and wanted to stay connected, which game(s) would you recommend? My system is basically a docked Dell D630 with limited graphics capabilities. I am looking for something relatively simple, perhaps a shoot-em-up that we can play from time-to-time. I know there are sites that you can play networked games on-line ...

Please help us play together ...

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I wish my dad played games with me. If you want a shoot em up that has a large online community I would recommend Call of Duty 4 with no hesitation. Doesn't take much key memorization to get into either, in my opinion. On the other hand Team Fortress 2 might be a really good choice that you can play through Steam, which is a great network with plenty of players. Good luck!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
I wish my dad played games with me. If you want a shoot em up that has a large online community I would recommend Call of Duty 4 with no hesitation. Doesn't take much key memorization to get into either, in my opinion. On the other hand Team Fortress 2 might be a really good choice that you can play through Steam, which is a great network with plenty of players. Good luck!

I don't even think his laptop can play COD4. OP, what type of games do you like? Try one of the Unreal Tournaments like 2004/2003 or regular Unreal Tournament. Those are great fun that still many people play. Unreal games are still popular.

There's also America's Army. It might be fun to play seeing as your son is in the Army. Is is fairly realistic which can get frustrating at time but it is really fun. I haven't played it in years so I wonder how much it has changed. It's free so that should be easy access.

I don't know exactly how good the graphics in the D630 but those are old games and they should run fine on your system. Oh and if you're ganna aply FPS's on a laptop, buy a cheap mouse. It will make the experience so much better.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I was hoping that someone could recommend a game/site that had amusing games that had multiplayer capabilities ... similar to this one:

Kongregate.com

A place we could meet, log onto a game and play for a while ...

Thanks for your suggestions.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
BF2.

Nice army element and lots of teamwork play. The game came out in 2005, still looks nice today and won't take much hardware to run.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I'd say TF2, since it's priced right and has a big community, and Settlers of Catan, free, at games.asobrain.com.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: zerocool84I don't even think his laptop can play COD4. OP, what type of games do you like? Try one of the Unreal Tournaments like 2004/2003 or regular Unreal Tournament. Those are great fun that still many people play. Unreal games are still popular.

I'd recommend Sins of a Solar Empire and UT 2004 but I'd wonder whether his computer could run them. For Sins they could play online against AI or as a team against other people. For UT 2004 they could play Onslaught or most likely, Invasion Monster Hunt RPG.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
BF2.

Nice army element and lots of teamwork play. The game came out in 2005, still looks nice today and won't take much hardware to run.

What he said. Find a server with in-game VOIP enabled, or a teamspeak (or ventrilo) server.
With VOIP you have to be on the same team and squad. That way you could yak it up while playing.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Left4dead? It should run pretty good with everything turned down, even on your system, which I honestly have no knowledge of.

SigArms08

Apr 16, 2008
You could give Axis and Allies a try. A very good representation of the fabulous board game from Milton Bradley can be downloaded for free here (look at the third post down in this forum thread for a few different versions and links):
http://www.axisandallies.org/f...ndex.php?topic=11975.0
Just make sure you have the latest version of Java installed on your system.

Totally free, incredibly enjoyable. This is a turn based WWII game, does not require the latest graphics cards, and you and him could talk using VOIP (Xfire, teamspeak) while playing.

Apr 20, 2008
Something along the lines of counterstrike, or better yet, Day of Defeat. DOD can be played on almost every system and it is a good WW2 shooter.

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
dare i suggest WoW?

How dare you suggest such an evil thing. Thats not a game that really brings two people together IMO.

I think its great that your taking an effort into enjoying an aspect of a great relationship between you and your sun.

When talking about "teaming up" a first person shooter is probably the best choice.

I will suggest

Team Fortress 2
Crysis Wars (If you both have the system to run it)
Call of Duty 5: WaW
Left 4 Dead

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
BF1942 is a great idea. My brother and I used to Skype while playing that, among other older games. UT1 is another great idea. All of those can have voice clients running in the background without effecting the game much, if at all.

fivetiger

Feb 19, 2007
Originally posted by: FerraraZ
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
dare i suggest WoW?

How dare you suggest such an evil thing. Thats not a game that really brings two people together IMO.

I'm not a WoW fan by any means, but I have played it, and I think you're wrong about it. I used to play it with my real-life friend, and ONLY with him. No solo, no groups of strangers. We had a good time chatting about all kinds of non-game stuff while we played.

I think your recommendation of Left 4 Dead could be a good idea. It's a fun co-op game. The only problem is that it doesn't leave much time to chat. Anyway, doesn't seem like L4D would work on the OP's computer.

And for the OP...I went through the same thing with my good friend since we live about 10 hrs from each other now. We played WoW, but got tired of that after we both hit lvl 60, and couldn't do much anymore without grouping. We tried flash games, but they just don't cut it, like you said. By the way, Kongregate is pretty solidly the best flash game site. We still haven't found a good game, so we just chat over Messenger for now.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I'm going to say World of Warcraft. That game has a lot of downtime where you're waiting to find groups or fly to a dungeon, and I usually end up talking to people during that time. I've played this game with real life friends, and it was always a good time. It's basically a chat room where you kill things between sentences.

The best part about WoW is that chat room style it has. If you join a game of COD and sit around like a dumb ass, you'll get banned or kicked fairly quick. If you join World of Warcraft and sit around doing nothing, you're doing the same thing as hundreds of other people on that server.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Team Fortress 2?

What about Call of Duty: United Offensive? It's the expansion to the original. Still has a popular online community, mostly in the Base Assault game mode because that was taken out in COD2. I still play from time to time on the Texas Militia No Tanks server.