Looking for a Gaming Headset

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
That has a mic that reduces background noise. I have 2 fish tanks in my gaming room and the headset that I have now I get complaints that they can hear my filters over me. They're not too loud, just my headset is one of those $2.99 specials.

Anyone know of a decent headset that has a mic that cuts out background noise?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Do you have mic boost turned on. If so you may want to turn that off. That boosts the sesitivity of the mic allowing it to hear everything in the room. If you cut the mic boost off and keep the mic at about mid range the background noise shouldn't be picked up.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, any decent mic should be able to cancel most background noise as long as you've properly adjusted the gain and sensitivity.

Note:

There are multiple "layers" you'll have to do this in. Obviously, your receiving device (typically the sound card) needs to be adjusted first at the driver level. Then you should also test the mic in-game (if the game provides that option) to make sure everything's coming through properly. You may have to tweak mic settings again within that software.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Also the mic in headsets, and most small PC mic, are all pretty much the same. The only differnce between one headset and another are the speakers used and any additional hardware features it may have.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I have a Logitech USB headset that I love. It's comfortable, has decent sound quality, and no one complains about the mic quality. Best of all, it's USB (for those of us that don't have front panel audio hooked up).

I can't remember what they're called, but the model number is A-0356A. They're probably discontinued, but I'd imagine Logitech has something else out there that's pretty good. I think I paid $30 from a B&M store, so I'd guess around $15-20 on Newegg.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Look up some of the Logitech USB headsets. All Logitech products are in a class of their own.

Jakeisbest

Feb 1, 2008
If you are a fanatic about sound quality you will not enjoy the logitech headsets. I would highly recommend getting a pair of headphones and getting a separate zalman clip on mic or logitech stand alone mic. Usually the sound you get from stand alone headphones is way better than the sound you get from headsets.

I have had the Sennheiser PC151 (great buy for the price) and I currently own the Sennheiser PC350, both have great sound. The only real problem with them is you will realize all your downloaded music is low bit rate and terrible quality.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I like my Senheinser HD 201 for gaming. Clear sound, except no voice input for that one.