Looking for a Freelance-esque Game

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
I loved playing Freelancer and really enjoyed the open world.

Are there any other games out there that are similar to this game and good?

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Originally posted by: bobross419
I loved playing Freelancer and really enjoyed the open world.

Are there any other games out there that are similar to this game and good?

As Wrangler said, X3 is pretty much the closest thing out there that's not EVE. Just keep in mind the game is (for some strange reason) funner to build your own bases and maintain them then actually roaming the galaxy slaughtering everything.

If you want a cheap one night stand, DarkStar One is ok. Should last you a weekend or a week depending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DarkStar_One

If you're done with the above two and desperate for a space game fix, you can also try Space Interceptor: Project Freedom

http://www.merscom.com/games/spaceinterceptor.php

And there's actually one more game released last year I believe or so, but it sucked really bad and didn't live up to the hype. I can't recall its name however, I'll update my post once I find out.

UPDATE Now I remember, it's Spaceforce: Rogue Universe. Avoid it like the plague, it just downright sucks.

modoheo

May 28, 2008
I'm playing thru Mass Effect currently and having a blast. It's a (somewhat) open-ended sci-fi shooter/RPG type game.

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos

Not as complex or as difficult as x3, but has a HUGE Universe, weapons, and great graphics even by today's standards. The story is decent, but a lot of Free Roaming as well. In fact, I like it much better, than Freelancer, as it uses Newtonian Physics, and the ships actually feel different from each other. A fantastic game if you liked Freelancer and much less arcade like (more simulation).

For space shooter sims: Freespace, Freespace Silent Threat, and Freespace 2 (this is free with great graphical enhancements and mods).

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
X3 isn't really comparable to Freelancer in anything but a superficial way. Freelancer is a space-themed shooter, whereas X is more of a galactic economy/warfare simulation that also lets you jump in a cockpit and shoot things. Big difference in scope.

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
I really enjoyed the trading aspect of Freelancer with the shooter aspect just adding a bit of flair :)

I wish there was a game like this set in the Star Wars universe :(

YT-1300's, Ghtroc Freighters, Carrack Cruisers...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: bobross419
I really enjoyed the trading aspect of Freelancer with the shooter aspect just adding a bit of flair :)

I wish there was a game like this set in the Star Wars universe :(

YT-1300's, Ghtroc Freighters, Carrack Cruisers...
Do a google for "Freelancer Mod Manager". While you are looking around try to find a Star Wars Mod.