Looking for a Foxbody Mustang GT. How much are they worth?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Don Karnage, May 18, 2012.

1. 96Firebird

96Firebird Diamond Member

That is the name of their racing organization, which includes mostly Mustangs. They rented the track out that day, but it was an invitation event so others were allowed to participate. The track also had test and tune between the MOMs runs. They also host the Mustang vs. F-body shootout each year, which I might race in this year. :biggrin:

2. Don Karnage

Don Karnage Platinum Member

That he doesn't know. From what he told me its a lower compression 351. 8.5:1 or something around that range, Victor Jr heads, Turbo cam, straight through exhaust. Said he boosts over 15 Psi. Will see if i can get more info on the turbo. If it's as nice as he says it is and i can talk him down to 10K or lower we might have a deal.

3. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

FWIW I think that if it's a good setup that won't need much work it'd be worth considering even at asking price. It is probably worth a good bit of money to have something turnkey that won't need much (or any) wrenching to reach your power/performance goals.

4. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

I'm guessing closer to 600-800 RWHP. Built 351 with good heads, and single turbo Hellion kits are Turbonetics or Precision units 61mm-76mm.

5. jlee

jlee Lifer

Only reason I say that is the first foxbody Hellion kitted car I found on Youtube was ~400whp. :p

6. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

8. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Because the 80s interior is even uglier! :awe:

Besides, cars like these, you don't have time to look at the interior... and the person in the other lane smack talking and starting shit at the light can't touch or see your interior either...

#33 exdeath, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

The 1992 interior is nice and clean. The 94+ interior looks like it came from an organic fish spaceship from a bad SciFi channel movie

[​IMG]

10. Don Karnage

He is running the stock 61mm turbo that came with the kit at 18 psi. Sounds like a sick ass car but 10K+ for a foxbody. Is it really worth it?

11. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Well look at it this way, that Hellion kit alone is about $4k.

So $6k minus a built motor from the sounds of it, and aftermarket heads?

Always have to know what you are buying and ask yourself "can I build my own identical setup from stock for this price?". Usually the answer is "no".

12. 96Firebird

96Firebird Diamond Member

But then again, you also have to ask yourself if you got a stock one right now, would you go the same route with the build. If you were already going to build a motor and turbo it, it sounds like a steal. If you just wanted a stock fox to bang around in, it may not seem like a deal.

13. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

^^What those two guys said.

14. Don Karnage

You're right. What do you think the motor puts down with that turbo and 18psi ex?

No i wanted to mod it. No fun in having a stock car

15. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

You know what? This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.

16. Don Karnage

I need NOS

17. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

61mm turbo and 18 psi on a 351 with aftermarket heads, I would guess in the 600s at the tires, possibly breaking 700s depending on cam, fuel, and how aggressive the tuning is.

18 psi is quite a bit to just stuff down an old tired stock 302/351, so I know already it's a built motor, big fuel system, etc. He went Hellion over some cheap ebay kit, so it's probably got quality parts throughout.

#42 exdeath, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  18. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Foxes are like a box of chocolates.

When one rolls up on you, you don't know if its a stock 190 HP turd, or a 1500 RWHP 7 second terror.

If it's got 15 inch rear wheels with fat bald tires and a pair of big red things* hanging off the fuel tank below the rear bumper, it's best to be as still as possible and hope it goes away.

*sumped tanked with multiple Aeromotive external pumps

#43 exdeath, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  19. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

190hp? They came with as low as 88hp. I think one of the V8 ones even had 140hp... A Toyota Yaris would smoke it.

20. GLXRICK

GLXRICK Junior Member

First off it's a matter of supply and demand. Finding an un-molested 5.0 is nearly impossible. I looked for a long time before i found a 1990 GT convertible, totally stock one owner, 48K miles with all service records. It was stored in a heated garage in winter. Some people say I paid too much. I think I didn't because it was what I wanted. No headaches just put my money down and drove it away with no issues.

My advise is keep looking for a foxbody. SN95 is OK but the 94 and 95 5.0 had overheating issues. i speak form experience. Besides, if you had your heart set on a foxbody you wont be happy. Expect to pay from $8 to 11K for such a vehicle

21. OILFIELDTRASH

After having bought a foxbody and driving it and doing research I'd have to disagree somewhat. I want a car with mods on it. Especially items such as shocks/struts, upgrades sway bars, control arms, subframe connectors,etc.. Those things cost $ and last a long time. I bought a fox with a ton of goodies. Headers, full X pipe exhaust, cold air intake, poly motor mount bushings, aluminum driveshaft, and much more. Flip open a mustang parts catalog sometime. Hell I paid less for the car than what the dude spent in parts.

22. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Those Mustang II cars were quite slow.

A 1983 GT with the 302 4bbl 175hp could get to 60 in about 7 seconds. So a Yaris would be well to the rear.

23. GLXRICK

GLXRICK Junior Member

True..you make some good points. If that works for you then it's perfectly acceptable. However, being a bit older I wanted a fox that was totally stock because first..I don't have any idea what the previous owner did when they modded the vehicle..did they beat the crap out of it?
    Second...I can do the simple things myself. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot when you start from stock IMO....Third...If/when I sell it it will be much easier to sell without mods and all the maintenance history I have (including dealership papers, window sticker, etc)..
    I've had about 8 foxes in all iterations and all but 1 were all modified to some extent and they were harder to sell. The totally stock one I sold to the first buyer for my asking price.

24. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

You are going to run into that no matter what though. My car is modded to crap and beat on daily. I have the stock parts too though so when I get rid of it, the car being "stock" doesn't mean it wasn't beat on.