Looking for a DSL wireless modem/router

Oct 9, 1999
I have crappy windstream internet and the modem they supply is a POS. I'm looking for a decent-priced DSL modem offering wireless(so I can eliminate having a modem by itself and router)...

i have a staples and best buy near me. hoping to pick it up B&M.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i recently replaced my wrt54g to a Cisco EA4500 and love it. Amazon has it for 138. only downside is that it doesn't support 802.11ac

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
only downside is that it doesn't support 802.11ac

This is Not a downside. It a good thing.

The 802.11ac is not yet a standard and its status in the few Wireless Routers that offer it is like it use to be with pre-N draft-N.

It is currently offered on market to cash on the people that are Diagnosed as suffering from the ""Early adopter Syndrome"".

:cool:

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
This is Not a downside. It a good thing.

The 802.11ac is not yet a standard and its status in the few Wireless Routers that offer it is like it use to be with pre-N draft-N.

It is currently offered on market to cash on the people that are Diagnosed as suffering from the ""Early adopter Syndrome"".

:cool:

i have to disagree on this one. how often do folks actually change their routers? not very often. i'm changing mine after almost 9 years. even if 802.11ac isn't a standard yet, it soon will be. i'd consider this purchase as future proofing your home network (at least for a couple of years until the next standard rolls around).

Gowie

Dec 12, 2012
I definitely agree. I just bought myself a Cisco EA4500 and it's amazing. Once it was setup, it added 500Kbps to my internet speed and runs my 20TB Netgear Pioneer Pro, WDTV Live, Two Laptops, Two Desktops, Xbox, PS3, HTC One X and all the torrenting I can throw at it all at once without even breaking a sweat!