Looking for a decent UPS

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a used one that still works. It will definitely give you some time if you're just powering a modem and router. Will give it to you for shipping. $12.35. flat rate box. Opti ups 730b

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Do you also have an acoustic coupler and a rotary dial phone?

Yes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AByemfK_qD4

Nothing like the sound of QAM in the morning!

Funny story. had to use dial-up over the Comcrime VOIP to load drivers on a very old HP netbook. Netbook had no USB or CD drive and I had no floppy drive for it. But the PCMCIA dial -up modem worked on install and used my FTP to transfer drivers. It used to monitor the router via SNMP, but the fur ball knocked it off the desk and never booted after that.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
It's pretty sad that POTS isn't used all that much or appreciated. Thinking of going DSL instead of this Comcrap thing myself. POTS was ALWAYS reliable. Never has it failed. Not that I know of.

I like my VOIP Comcast phone because I have a netbook that monitors the caller-ID through a caller-id USB connected dial-up modem and I can block telemarketers and other stuff. Software is called PhoneTray by Traysoft.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Since it's a small load practically any UPS will do, I don't know if you'll find a ups for $50 though. If yes I probably would not trust it. Probably wong hung lo capacitors and relays in there. Bottom of the barrel components hand picked by the finest Chinese slaves.

Though if you get a bigger UPS than what you need you'll get more uptime as it will more than likely come with a bigger battery. My fibre ISP has a UPS as part of the ONT, think it's good for like 8 hours but it only does the ONT itself, so I don't lose my phone but I'd lose internet if my router goes down, obviously. I have that stuff on my own 4 hour UPS though.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
whats a "modem"?

Modulator / Demodulator is what it is short for basically it puts information on a signal and reads data on a signal.

that's what I remember of the definition off of the top of my head.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Modulator / Demodulator is what it is short for basically it puts information on a signal and reads data on a signal.

Yep, modulator demodulator. Maybe he thinks Comcast, Cox, and a whole host of other ISP mafia's don't use a modem? It's not dial-up.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Tell you what, I think the new UPS lady on our route is hot. I've stepped up the Amazon ordering pace so I can try to get a picture for you fiends.

Wait, what kind of UPS?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Won noun. UPS: Uninterruptible Power Supply. Not UPS woman.

My fiends? Definition: Satan or the devil.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Um, yeah, I know. twas goofing. Hell, I still have my boca raton modems!

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Posting in a JC Thread

giphy.gif

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Dear Mclovin, I don't know you, but you seem like a dick and a ½. Keep up the 3rd grade antics.

Last edited:

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Dear Mclovin, I don't know you, but you seem like a dick and a ½. Keep up the 3rd grade antics.

This coming from the individual who, up until just recently, displayed a list of people on his ignore list in his signature...as a threat lol